Sequoia National Park, California


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sequoia NP was about an hour from the campsite where we stayed. We passed orange and lemon groves as we made our way toward the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We entered the park from the south entrance, which is at a low elevation. Wildflowers were blooming on the roadsides. As we gained altitude the road twisted and turned. Based on our experience on the coastal highway and here, California’s mountain roads are right up there with West Va and North Carolina. We took our time and enjoyed the view as we climbed.
When we reached the first grove of Sequoia trees our reaction was WOW and WOW again. They are tremendous trees and really speak of the majesty of the Creator. After lunch we walked up Morro Rock; a granite rock at 6725 feet with 400 steps to the top. It had great views of the Mountains and of the road in the valley below.
In the late afternoon we picked our campsite. The campground opened this week. There is still snow in the area, although the temps during the day reach the high 60’s. The park is not very crowded, which is really nice. The season starts after Memorial Day.
After dinner we hiked to the General Sherman tree, which is the largest tree in the world when you look at volume of wood; not size. It is a biggie! Then we did “The Big Trees” hike; a mile trail around a wet meadow with a grove of Sequoia trees around it. The trees are magnificent and awe inspiring. We enjoyed just walking around them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Ct in Front of Roots of a Downed SequioaCt in Front of Roots of a Downed Sequioa
Ct in Front of Roots of a Downed Sequioa

We had to get everyone in front of a tree!
Frank at the Top of Morro RockFrank at the Top of Morro Rock
Frank at the Top of Morro Rock

Up 400 stairs and over 600 ft.
A Little Stream Around the MeadowA Little Stream Around the Meadow
A Little Stream Around the Meadow

A grove of Sequoia circle the meadow.
Another Big One!Another Big One!
Another Big One!

Some trees have names, but they all start to look alike!


Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb