Day 15 & 16 - San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Salina


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Cruz
August 18th 2006
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 15 & 16


After a good night’s rest to recover from our hike we headed west toward San Francisco. The drive to SF was pleasant and the skies were clear. Upon arriving in SF we quickly learned why the local shops sell so many sweatshirts! It was cool and breezy. We headed for the Fisherman’s Wharf area eager for a seafood lunch.

After lunch we took a drive down the curviest road in America, Lombard Street. Aaron then took the car down what must be the steepest residential street in America which made Johanna a bit nervous. Thankfully the brakes on our rental car handled the decline without any problems. Next we drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and stopped for some pictures in the park just across the bay before leaving the city.

We got onto Route 1 which we plan to spend the rest of our trip exploring. We headed south hoping to find a camp site in Half Moon Bay but the campground was full when arrived. This turned out to a great stroke of good luck as it forced us to continue on South. We found a room at a Super 8 in Santa Cruz which was just a few blocks from the boardwalk.

Since it was a Wednesday evening, we were able to get unlimited rides on the boardwalk for $8. Johanna was so excited that she decided to skip dinner just to make sure she could get more rides in. We spent the evening running from ride to ride. One of the roller coasters, the Double Dipper, is the seventh oldest wooden roller coaster in America. We both enjoyed it so much that we decided to ride it twice! Aaron also managed to drag Johanna into a haunted house ride which lead to Johanna letting out a big scream near the end of the ride. All in all it was a very fun night.

The next morning we continued south on Route 1. Soon after departing Santa Cruz Aaron noticed a sign for Seacliff State Park and thought it sounded interesting enough for a stop. It turned out to be a lovely little beach. We spent the next few hours sunbathing on the beach. Sea lions kept poking their heads out of the water near the shore but usually ducked under again just as we got our camera out. The temperature barely broke 70 but the sun kept us nice and warm. A little two warm perhaps as Johanna managed to get a little more sun than she had intended.

Later we ventured south for a quick visit to Carmel by the Sea before finding a hotel in Salina. Tomorrow we hope to spend the day exploring Big Sur and hopefully keep Johanna protected from the sun!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Seacliff State Park - Relaxing!Seacliff State Park - Relaxing!
Seacliff State Park - Relaxing!

After the past action packed weeks we were very happy to relax and do nothing on the beach!


18th August 2006

Better
Your trip just keeps getting better and better! I am amazed at the photography and really enjoy the updates. (The picture of you two by the Golden Gate has a different viewpoint than the one of the Rugby Team there. (wink) Watch out for "Waves Running Over You" or something like that! Love, MOM B

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb