Quick trip to Denmark


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Solvang, CaliforniaSolvang, CaliforniaSolvang, California

This small town was started by some people who came from Pennsylvania, and wanted a village and schools that would preserve their hertiage.
(The Master’s College)

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

We've been without internet for the past week (the college kids were on spring break, so they took that time to work on the computer system.....talk about suffering!) But anyway, I'll get some entries on as quickly as I can.

Saturday we went with Wayne and Lois to Solvang; a village about two hours from here. It is a Dutch town settled by a group of people from Pennsylvania, whose goal was to keep their heritage alive. The buildings are of that style, as well as the clothing in the stores, and the food and pastries~~oh, let’s talk about the Danish pastries! And you could buy wooden shoes of any type. We also toured an old Spanish Mission. I’ll include some details along with the pictures.

It was a cool day (mid 60s) with a breeze. We didn’t stop at the ocean on our way up because….well, because Bob was driving, and our destination was Solvang! But he promised we would on the way back. On the way back we were up against a deadline (we went to dinner at the home of one of our project hosts) and
This is a shop, not a house,This is a shop, not a house,This is a shop, not a house,

but there were houses in town that looked similiar. The town has 5500 poeple.
besides that, the wind was blowing really hard on the ocean. You’ll see that in the pictures.

It’s spring break here at the college, and it’s odd to look out on the parking lot, and see it empty! This morning during devotions, there was no one on the courtyard~~usually we can see the kids going/hurrying to class. It’s pretty much us and the security people around here.

We all went to lunch today with David, the project manager for the men. He’s been with The Master’s College for 22 years, so he gave us a peek into the past, as far as the building and grounds are concerned. Very interesting man, and very very nice!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

They asked for volunteers,They asked for volunteers,
They asked for volunteers,

and we were surprised when the woman in the black slacks stepped in, but then it became obvious that she knew what she was doing!
Not what you picture Not what you picture
Not what you picture

in southern California!
Old Mission Santa InesOld Mission Santa Ines
Old Mission Santa Ines

This is a model of the mission that was founded in 1804. It's been in continuous use as a Catholic Church since then.
The walls are hand painted.The walls are hand painted.
The walls are hand painted.

This is inside the church building. There were other rooms with priests garments, and pictures, but they were interior rooms, and flash wasn't allowed in them, so the pictures didn't turn out.
The gardens.The gardens.
The gardens.

The inner square of the property is where the people of the mission did their work, and grew their food. Now it's gardens, and the spring plants are coming up, so it's very tranquil, as well as beautiful. As you walk through the garden they have places to stop and read about some of the people who lived there.
The ground cover is baby tears.The ground cover is baby tears.
The ground cover is baby tears.

My girls know how hard I've worked to grow baby tears, and in this area it just grows by itself!!


10th August 2010
The ground cover is baby tears.

baby tears
I live in Nashville TN, mid south. does the plant grow in my area? If so where can it be purchased in my town? Thanks for your help. Judy
10th August 2010

Hi, Judy~~
I don't know if baby tears grows in your area, but I would think it would. Just check with a local nursery. Once you get them started, they grow like crazy, and are so pretty. Thanks for looking at my blog.....Vicki

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb