Pumpkins Patches and Trick or Treating!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Barbara
November 9th 2015
Published: November 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The last event of our trip here in California was, of course, Halloween. Sandwiched in between mountain walks we went to Halloween Parties, pumpkin patches and spent an afternoon Trick or Treating around the local area.

The first event was a fancy dress party in the back yard of a friend of Sharon's . 'Huge garden' would have been a more accurate description with their own swimming pool, sand pit, trampoline, swings and slide, plus numerous other play structures. Everyone joined in and turned up in fancy dress, Stan was Fred Flintstone and I wore a red rock and roll skirt. Most other people, I have to say, were wearing costumes with a Halloween theme. Oh well we did our best!!

The children here had a great time playing games to do with spiders and ghosts and hitting a huge ball filled with goodies until it burst open (adult help was needed in the end to 'crack it') Each child had their own goodie bag and raced to fill it as soon as the ball cracked open. There is a name for the ball but for now I can't remember it ( I'm sure someone will remind me!)

At this time of year Pumpkin patches are big here. It's a great day out for children and adults alike. The idea is to go and buy a pumpkin to carve out for Halloween but while there, there are lots of other attractions. A corn maize, that was unfortunately closed the day we went, tractors to sit on, hay rides in a cart pulled by a tractor, talking scarecrows, water pumps that really work and of course fields of giant pumpkins.

Kyla and Jake loved it and we all spent a great morning there together as the photos will show.

On the afternoon of Halloween itself the children all dress up and with a 'Trick or Treat' bag in hand, walk down busy streets where all the local shops and businesses dress up themselves and hand out goodies to the children. Halloween here seems almost as big business as Christmas, a month before people start adorning their homes with orange lights, pumpkins, spiders and webs, along with Witches and other gruesome looking figures!

Saturday night on Downtown State Street was the finale. Most people out for the night wore costume and the tourist bus drove along filled with party goers dancing and singing. Crazy!



Well our time here in California is over and it's time to go home. We have been so lucky with the weather, it's been tropical all the time we've been here, guess it's time to face the winter back home!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Trick or treat!Trick or treat!
Trick or treat!

who could be scared of this cheeky face?


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb