2020 California Road Trip


Advertisement
North America » United States » California » Santa Ana
August 15th 2020
Published: August 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

On 27 Jan 2020 stories were coming out of Wuhan, China about a new virus that had locked down the city. We have friends Tom and Wendy; Wendy was the first Consul General after the U.S. opened the Consulate in Wuhan following its closure during the Communist revolution in 1949. I read that the U.S. government was evacuating the U.S. consulate staff so wrote to them "I bet you are happy not to be in... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




16th August 2020

Love Road Trips
I'm sorry to hear your route home was blocked and that right now you don't plan on doing a long trip again. We find the key to success is only driving about 5 ours a day so you have time to explore. We love road trips and hope you change your mind. You saw some wonderful things. I'm thrilled you were there for the wedding and hopefully will be there in May for the next ceremony. Send our best. We love the San Anselmo area. We lived in Marin for 18 months. You saw some lovely parts of California.
17th August 2020

I love road trips, too.
But very long days crossing emptiness (e.g., the Great Plains and Nevada) are not something I enjoy. That's why we shortened each day to arrive at our next hotel about 5 PM, taking three days each way. Our next road trip was to drive back east to PA to visit Linda's family and to CT to visit my daughter and her family in their new home. I'm thinking now that I will send Linda by air to both places and then fly to CT later, perhaps on my way to or from an overseas destination like I've done in the past. You were fortunate to live in such a lovely place. You both have the perfect jobs that allow you to see so many beautiful parts of America!
16th August 2020

Time Well Spent
It was interesting to read about what you and your family have been doing over the past several months since my life has been very, very boring in comparison. Just goes to show that inertia will take over if you don't keep moving. Great photos by the way. I'm very sorry for the loss of your kitty, Lorne Doone.
17th August 2020

Time well spent...
I was afraid that inertia was taking over and had to hit the road. I hope you can find a corner of America that you would like to visit! And thanks for your words about our loss of Lorna Doone. She would always meet us at the door to welcome us home.
16th August 2020
Meet the newlyweds

Congrats from the Dancing Ones
We have met Will during your visit to Sydney some years ago and then when we spent time at your home in Colorado in 2015. How time flies. Congrats to Will & Mercy on their marriage and may their union be blessed and bring joy to the enlarged Carlsen family from your friends in Oz.
17th August 2020
Meet the newlyweds

Time together...
We remember with fondness the time we spent with you in Sydney and your time here, and on both occasions you got to know my son. Dave inspired him on the path to becoming a lawyer. I will pass on your congratulations to Will and Mercy.
16th August 2020
Liam at the Woodland Aquatic Center

Woodland Aquatic Centre
I remember the vacant lot and your plans for the Aquatic Centre when we spent time at your home surrounded in snow in 2015. This is the first photo of the completed project I can recall seeing. Job well done Bob...your vision and determination to get it done...you must be thrilled it has not only reached fruition but is spectacular!
17th August 2020
Liam at the Woodland Aquatic Center

Woodland Aquatic Center...
Perhaps I have been remiss in not posting a blog of the completed aquatic center, perhaps because it didn't involve travel. However, it was a long difficult journey to reach this destination! Perhaps I will write a blog about it after all.
17th August 2020

Glad you made the trip to attend the wedding
When things are upside down all over the world and we are learning/adjusting everyday to new normal, travels are almost non-existent, I cancelled my trip to Africa in May,- amid all these Topsy-tarvy I am glad that you and Linda made the trip. Wedding ceremony doesn't come everyday and you made it. Indeed it was a close call with Liam ...glad everything went alright. Stay well and safe Bob!
17th August 2020

Glad you made the trip...
Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry to hear that you also had to cancel a trip this year, but we hope for the best next year!
23rd August 2020
Bryce Canyon NP

High on the agenda
Hiking in national parks in Utah are high on our wish list. From all the pictures we have seen it seems to be a wonderful experience. /Ake
20th September 2020

California Road Trip
Wow! What an incredible summer you have had, Bob! I was sad to read that your trip to Scotland was cancelled due to the situation, but what wonderful alternative plans you had made! Congratulations on the marriage of your son, and great to read about all the family catch-ups! Also wonderful to read, as my own travel plans last April included a California road trip from LA to SF. It's been great to read about some of the sights I would have seen here instead. I think I would have really enjoyed "The Loneliest Road in America". Sorry to hear about Lorne... Thank you for a wonderful read Bob ?
18th February 2024

Incredibly scenic places and beautiful photos
Wow, this was a road trip to incredibly scenic places and you took most beautiful photos. Good that you could take Liam with you and that you were able to meet family and that in spite of Covid restrictions at least the marriage could take place. Everything that happended during Covid times seems almost unreal nowadays, although it was not that long ago...

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb