Coastline around SLO


Advertisement
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent most of the day tootlin' around the coastline near SLO. We drove up to the Hearst Castle, but I didn't realize it was at the top of the mountain and you had to take a bus tour to get up there...it was $24 each and took nearly 2 hours (and it was an hour to wait for the next tour), so needless to say, we didn't make it up there. We did walk around the visitor's center and learned about WR Hearst.

Then we headed to the pier at San Simeon (just across the road, really, from the visitor's center). It was chilly and we needed jackets. There were a LOT of swimmers in the ocean, however...

Then drove a bit further north to see the elephant seals. They have a really loud bark, and it was amazing to watch them in the binoculars swimming and "snorting". Back down the coastline to Pismo Beach. Reminded me a bit of Seaside...really touristy main drag, then the rest of town was pretty sleepy. It was really pretty to stand on the pier and look back at the town. Most of the towns along the coast are nestled in the hills...can't imagine living on such steep inclines all the time...

Perhaps the best part of the day were the (2) pelicans sitting at the end of the pier in Pismo...they were just sitting and looking around. EVERYONE was taking pics of them...they would let you come right up to them!! Amazing...closest one by far I've seen!!!

Back to our "nest" at the Eagles. Visited with the clientele, got a membership application to the Moose Lodge (they have Lots of lodges in Florida 😊, and learned the best way to get to San Diego from here...we made delicious tacos for dinner and watched a movie before turning in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

PelicanPelican
Pelican

This guy was just sitting there...I could reach out and touch him (but I didn't, as there was a sign warning a $100 fine for messing with the wildlife!!


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb