Montana de Oro State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Luis Obispo
February 13th 2009
Published: February 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Surf at Montana de Oro 30 secs
So enjoyed Montana de Oro State Park yesterday that we went back to explore some more today. The name comes from the golden flowers that carpet the place in spring. There's a photo of a few of the early arrivals.

Did a three hour hike along the Bluff Trail that follows the coast line (did we mention that we like to be close to the sea?). In that whole time we saw maybe a dozen people, it was as good as having the place to ourselves. It was cold and windy but the sun was shining, the sky was blue and the surf was up. Just glorious.
Masses of wildlife to be seen, birds of prey (there are lots of peregrine falcons round here, but I can't identify what we saw. Some of them were really big!!), Pelicans, gulls, oyster catchers, seals playing in the surf and the adorable California ground squirrels. One gull walked up to me while I was having a 'quiet moment' on a beach and refused to leave. Followed me when I left too!!
A lovely, lovely day, I hope you can get some flavour of the place from the pictures. I wish we could have longer here, there are so many trails to walk in this one State Park alone. The place was pristine, people obviously pay attention to the signs telling you that there is no garbage collection here - If you have to bring it you have to take it home.

The walk was fab, bright sun brilliant blue sky and masses of coastline. The birds seem to fly quite low a group of 9 pelicans did a fly by. The gull that sat by Jon on the beach was so sweet, just kept looking at him, then flew alongside as we left the beach. The seals were adorable, floating on their backs, then flipping over and diving underneath the waves. One of the squirrels looked in a trance, think it had zoned out on eating so much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



13th February 2009

Big Bird
The photo of the large in-flight bird shows a turkey vulture, a carrion-eater. When I'm tyring to figure out if I'm seeing a turkey vulture or some other, I watch for a "wobble" in their gliding.
13th February 2009

Thanks Dee!
That explains why I saw it feasting on some long-dead corpse on the beach.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb