5 Chipmunks, 4 Elephant Seals, 3 hundred miles, 2 Filet Mignons and an irate taxi driver


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Leaving San FranciscoLeaving San FranciscoLeaving San Francisco

Views from the streets down to the sea
Now sing the title to the tune of 12 days of Christmas....! Crap I know but amused us...!!

We thought we would have breakfast at our hotel this morning before we left as we had a 50% off voucher, glad we waited till the last day, it was pretty mediocre really - (Excuse the arrogance, have got used to being spoilt with all this American food!)

We hadn't even driven out the car park and came across our first bit of 'road rage' over here. To be fair we was blocking the exit but only for all off about 30 seconds. This Chinese taxi driver was slaming his horn and making fist signs at nige (he was about 65/70) Nige shouted back 'I'm going, I'm going' this made the cabbie step out the car and come towards us - luckily we had an opening and darted off!

So - What do you do when leaving San Francisco - You drive over the Golden Gate bridge of course, only my advice is, try to do it when its not to foggy! Next up was the 'Richmond Bridge' and then Route 101 which leads in or shares with Route 1
Start of Route 1Start of Route 1Start of Route 1

Just before the Golden Gate Bridge
(or as its also known - Pacific Coast Highway) there were a number of viewing points along the route as the road literally winds through right next to the sea, another really scenic route. Most people take 2 weeks to do this - Its probably a bit similar to Route 66 though not as long. We're aiming to do it in 24 hours! More wildlife was spotted - some more Chipmunks/Squirrels then Elephant Seals, Raccoons and even a Skunk! We made a number of stops along the way and all in all to get to our stopover for the night, it ended up a seven and half hour journey. We travelled through some really nice towns - Monterey, Big Sur, Morro bay and then Grover Beach where we are staying.

We checked in, and went across to the bar/restaurant opposite - A J Spurs. Again wasn't to sure what to expect, but it was really nice, particularly the Magaritas and the soup they serve you the minute you sit down - Vaquero soup to which you add Salsa and Tequila beans then you mix it altogether and eat it - Luuuurrrvvvvellly...!!!!!

Nige being Nige attempted the 35oz steak
Foggy Golden GateFoggy Golden GateFoggy Golden Gate

Looked pretty cool though
and all trimmings here for a free t-shirt, he had already eaten 3 bowls of soup and a salad, - He made it, and the t-shirt even fits him! Joe being 15 (even if he was 20 it would have been the same) got a free spirograph and a little bowl of vanila ice cream - aahhh - Bless!!! A couple of Margaritas later we then retired back to our room...

Hollywood bears our presence tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Still FoggyStill Foggy
Still Foggy

Still Cool
Richmond BridgeRichmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge

Has 2 way traffic on seperate levels - Different....
Scene from Route 1Scene from Route 1
Scene from Route 1

From the car
Nige at Willow creekNige at Willow creek
Nige at Willow creek

Another viewpoint on Route 1
Willow CreekWillow Creek
Willow Creek

Me & Nige
Elephant SealsElephant Seals
Elephant Seals

At Piedras Blancas view point. These are 14-16 foot each and weigh 2.5 tons!
Mum at A J SpursMum at A J Spurs
Mum at A J Spurs

With her Magarita
Nige with his 35ozNige with his 35oz
Nige with his 35oz

Which he finished
Sunset at Grover BeachSunset at Grover Beach
Sunset at Grover Beach

Still in A J's!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb