Day 5 - Leaving San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
January 18th 2015
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.7855, -122.411

Our last day before a long 10 hour flight to London. I was up at 07:00 trying to fit everything into 6 bags because I was determined to limit the excess we now we're going to have to pay. Then rest of the family were up Around 8:30, showered and completed last bits of packing. Off to find somewhere a bit cheaper for breakfast, but nobody would make up their minds in terms of what they wanted. Finally found Levys Dugout, seemed to be a keen Giants baseball fan club. Big breakfast and half what we paid yesterday

Booked an SUV, called the bell boy and then checked out. Had a debate about Internet charges but won the argument and saved $105. Off in the SUV at 12:30 and headed to the airport for our 16:30 BA 248 flight to London, Heathrow Airport. Checkin was interesting.... Reminded attendant we were One World Qantas Frequent Flyers and he said ok, two bags each, so avoided all excess baggage charges, another saving this time $200, however one bag was very heavy ...28.5 kgs so rather than pay $95 we started shuffling items between bags on the floor of the checkin area to get the weight down, finally to 24.5kgs which he accepted.

Boarded the flight about 15:45 and took advantage of our family status and boarded before everyone else. Just as well because we were in row 53, last row right down in the tail of the plane. It will take us for ever to disembark!!! Good thing is though, toilets are right behind us. So if anyone's sick we are at least close !

Now we are all settling back for an expected journey of 9 hrs 30 mins. Dinner is served! Hostess was ver pleasant and talked to the kids a lot which was good. Great selection of movies so for the next 6 hours everyone was watching movies, then for the final 4 hrs we all attempted some sleep until breakfast was served, again very nice and in just another 30 minutes we touched down, not such a long trip after all, quite good in fact.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.2kb