Our Journey Begins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 30th 2015
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.7792, -122.42

It's finally here. The first day of a vacation we've planned for over a year. We are going to the South Pacific. For 47 days. Warm, clear water and 80 F temperatures. White sandy beaches stretching for miles and clear ocean water with 150' visibility. Who hasn't read "Robinson Crusoe" or "Mutiny on the Bounty"? Visions of pirates and island natives come to mind, brought to life from my childhood imagination. Now it becomes reality. Of course, I'm aware that things have changed in the last 200 years. Note the chart of our adventurous course in photo section and follow our progress. Of course, the Travelpod map mimics our movements throughout the Pacific as well as each entry's location.

It starts at the crack of dawn, about 8am. Now I tried to get up earlier but why? I'm now officially on vacation but hearing Karen already up and outside feeding her squirrels, cats, birds and fish, I knew pretending to sleep any longer was pointless. The packing and preparations are complete. I thought our goal had been to carry only two large and one small suitcases. Unfortunately, that was only my goal. With the final count now at five large and two small bags, we face a situation. Boarding the ship in San Francisco presents no problem but flying back on Southwest Airlines from San Diego may be expensive since we're over their limit already. I guess she won't be bringing back any souvenirs. Arrangements have been made for managing household chores and feeding the outdoor animals during our absence. Notice that I said "outdoor wild animals" and not pets. How they survived before I'll never know.

Our ride to the cruise ship shows promptly at 11:30am. My brother, Larry and his wife, Luanne load their truck with our stuff and bring a tarp to protect the luggage from the rain. Even with some unexpected traffic, we arrive on time, 1pm at Pier 35, where the Holland America ship, the ms Amsterdam, is docked. A valet approaches the vehicle and confirms our ship name since the ms Oosterdam is also in port at Pier 27 and people are getting confused between the two. Pulling to the curb, a cruise expediter summons our porter while we say our goodbyes to Larry and Luanne. After a few pictures we continue right in to the terminal to complete our paperwork and then directly to our stateroom while $20 to the porter ensures our luggage meets us there. In our carry on bag is 6 bottles of wine for our consumption during the voyage. We are allowed one bottle each free of charge with the balance subject to an $18 corkage fee per bottle. They X-ray our bag but no one mentions the wine and a steward even brought the bag on board for us. I guess we saved $72.

In our room is an invitation to a private cocktail party up in the "Crow's Nest" bar. We're 3 Star members so we enjoy shrimp, nuts, cheese and Mimosas, all free. Ahhh, delicious and free. Oh, I said that. From the highest point on the ship, we have a great view of the city and bay from the comfort of our lounge seats. We can see the Oosterdam from here. Our ship is far from crowded since most passengers will be boarding in San Diego. The Amsterdam is returning from several months cruising in Alaska, stopping in Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego before heading to the South Pacific.

Returning to the room, Mom unpacks clothes while I organize my electronics. An officer addresses everyone over the speaker system that the life boat drill will commence at 4pm but we continue to organize our stuff until the final call for all passengers to assemble on deck 3. It's a 20 minute drill that goes smoothly with the limited passengers on board at this time. We find our 5pm departure is delayed while additional fuel is loaded and, while there's a sail away party at 5 with free wine and snacks, Mom insists that we continue to ready our stateroom until we see the ship moving, then head topside to witness our departure from San Francisco Bay and passing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

While taking pictures of the city, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, we met some folks from New Zealand, the "Kiwi Skiers". Turns out they're from Cruise Critic, a forum for cruisers and so we knew each other, at least online. We conversed a bit and headed down to the buffet for a quick dinner. It's now dark. I had the New York and Mom had "Angry Striped Bass". That bass was good but I hesitate eating anything that's pissed off. The portions are small which is perfect for us, however, you can always have as much as you want, served with a smile.

We returned to the room so I could write this. I helped Karen dry some things at the launderette since her softener bottle leaked in the suitcase and got on some clothes. I am taking as many pictures of ship activities as possible today and tomorrow since the ship is relatively quiet. On Friday in San Diego, the bulk of the passengers will board and posing for pictures becomes more difficult.

Tomorrow is a day at sea followed by San Diego.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



5th October 2015

I love the blogs ... Keep them coming ... Al's a great writer ... Very entertaining ... Hope you guys are having fun!
5th October 2015

You guys are too cute have a relaxing fun time big Al! Love you guys

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb