Day 80 New York to San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
October 28th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post


Newark airport
Most of today was taken up with the flight from New York to San Francisco - took a taxi to Newark airport - $69 flat rate plus $17 in tolls and then tips - $100 all up.

We flew with United Airlines today and I can't imagine we will fly with them again. I will never again complain about lack of leg room on any Australian airlines. With United we were packed In Like sardines and people take so much carry on luggage onboard there was no room in the overhead lockers to store our gear. So not only was the leg room an issue but we then had to squeeze our carry on luggage between us and the seat.

The flight was 6 hours and it was a long flight probably due to the fact we were so uncomfortable. We really are spoilt in Australia when it comes to budget airlines.

Once we arrived in San Francisco we picked up our hire car - a ford focus - big enough to zip around the city in and just enough room to hold our luggage. Headed off to find our apartment where we will be staying until Saturday.

Leg room - non existent
The one bedroom apartment is near the Beuna Vista Park - close to the city - in a quiet neighbourhood.

After spending 10 days in Manhattan where the ground was perfectly flat it was certainly different to see all the Victorian row houses here in San Francisco and so many steep hills. Walking around these streets will be a struggle for us two very tired and worn out Aussies!

The 1930's apartment is on the fifth floor of the building with an old fashioned elevator and good security. The large bay windows overlook the city - just perfect. Although the apartment is small it is fully self contained and has everything we need for our stay. We booked this apartment through "air b&b" - at $145 per night it's a steal!

After bringing all our luggage up we headed to the local Safeway to purchase groceries for the next few days...and that was the day for us...it's 9pm and we are cooking dinner and then off to bed.

Weather is cool here in San Francisco but not as cold as it was the last few days in NYC. look forward to enjoying the last few days

Another shot of the leg room
of our trip here!

Geoff and I are certainly starting to feel the effects of being away from home for 3 months. We are both tired and some days are a definite struggle. Still we don't regret making the decision to be away for so long...would do it again in a heartbeat - that is once we have recovered from this adventure!

Happy travels...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



view looking back at Manhattan with world trade tower 1 in sight


Manhattan by air


Coming in to land in San Francisco


welcome to San Francisco traffic


Apartment in San Francisco


Sitting room in apartment


Kitchen


Living room is part of bedroom


Geoff chilling on the giant bean bag


View from apartment window


30th October 2013

have to go there one day

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb