Baseball, the "Boys of Summer," and American traditions


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Although American football is generally considered to be the national pastime, that moniker once belonged to the game of baseball. With the advent of television and the vision of then football commissioner Pete Rozelle in the 1960s and 1970s, American football is the sport that most Americans are crazy about. Baseball is still quite popular, but perhaps not in the storied way it once was. The boys of summer still exist, but they no longer have the fabled following that once had many an American lad’s ear glued to the radio in anticipation of Joe Dimagio’s next time at bat, or to hear how the Brooklyn Dodgers fared against their mortal enemies, the New York Giants.

Baseball is a pastoral game, played without time limits and some historians would say was created from the British games of cricket and rounders. No one is exactly certain, but the game is uniquely American, although now played in many countries around the world. Many would say that the game is boring and without much action. A true baseball fan would counter that statement and strongly argue that there is more action taking place than meets the eye of the casual fan. Baseball is
AT&T BallparkAT&T BallparkAT&T Ballpark

Home of the Giants
full of arguments about players and strategy, which is part of the fun of being a fan.


But the true fun is the experience of taking in a game at the ballpark, where many wonderful traditions take place. Although there are 30 “major league” teams, there are dozens of others, and they all offer great entertainment in their own way. These teams are part of what are called the “minor leagues.” Players on these teams are trying to reach “the show,” which is the name given to the major league teams.


These lads are generally 18 to 24 years old and are trying to live out their childhood dream of playing what essentially is a boy’s game, with the hope of cashing a large payday by making it to the majors and playing at some of the greatest venues of sport in America. Places like Fenway Park, Wrigley Field and Dodger Stadium are only a few of the venerable ball fields of lore.


So…..why go to a ballpark? There are many reasons besides watching a game that will last over three hours with what appears to be a lot of standing around, spitting, tightening
Ballpark cuisineBallpark cuisineBallpark cuisine

A beer and a dog is all you need
of batting gloves and adjusting various undergarments, all while waiting for the pitcher to throw a ball traveling at over 90 miles per hour (145 km) to a player from the opposite team who is holding a bat made from an ash tree and is standing just over 60 feet away.


The experience of a trip to the ballpark will allow you to take in the crowd, eat hot dogs, drink a cold beer, talk with total strangers about a terrible slump a player is in all while enjoying the great outdoors. You can cheer your favorite player, get a little grouse with the baseball umpire who you think just made a bad call on the previous play, watch comical stunts in between innings where various races take place which can only be described as sheer lunacy under normal conditions.

In the middle of the 7th inning, the entire crowd will stand up and sing a tune called, “Take me out to the ballgame,” which is really quite nice. The “7th inning stretch” as it is known, has been around for a long while. There are many purported reasons why, but one of the most popular is that it was started during the presidency of one William Howard Taft over 100 years ago. Seems the President decided to get up and stretch due to a sore back after the top half of the 7th inning, and everyone got up when he did. Great baseball lore, eh? As for the song, it was written long ago, but made popular by longtime broadcaster and imbiber, Harry Caray, who would stick his head out of the broadcast booth and sing to the crowd.

Something else you may see as you glance around are fathers sitting with their baseball glove-toting sons, who hope to be able to catch what is called a “foul” ball. If the lad catches the ball, he gets to keep it as a souvenir! Catch a ball at a football match in Manchester, England and they will be asking you to give it back.

Some of the best fun is at the afore-mentioned minor league games. One reason, the price of going to a major league game is quite high. By the time you pay for parking, buy a couple of tickets, get a hot dog and a beer for the both of you, your
Ports MascotPorts MascotPorts Mascot

Some of these characters are just goofy!!
wallet will be missing well over $125 American. Even more if you get the really expensive seats.


Now, a minor league game will be considerably less, and you can usually get great seats very close to the action. Sure, these are not the best players, but it still loads of fun. Most ballparks have now have quality microbrew beers on draft and most sell much higher quality food like barbeque sandwiches and the like. Not that there is anything wrong with eating a hot dog, which always tastes better at the ballpark for some reason.


Now here in the state of California, there are four “major league” teams” and a host of what is know as “single A” teams with names like the Modesto Nuts, or the Stockton Ports. They are members of the California League, which has been around a long time. The stadiums generally hold less than 5000 patrons, and are a delight to visit, especially on a warm summer evening. If you’re a player on one of these teams, your chance of advancing all the way to the “majors” are pretty slim, because these are about the lowest minor leagues in America. But the dream lives on for these boys of summer, even though most will have to give up this dream due to the fact that they can’t really hit a curveball, which means they’ll have to get a real job soon.


We’ve had the pleasure of visiting some of these parks in our time here in the Golden State. Oakland Stadium, home of the major league Athletics, is over 40 years old and exquisitely unattractive. AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants, is one of the finest stadiums of all sports in America, with its wonderful amenities and the fact that it sits right on the bay in this storied city.

Other stadiums visited include the home of the Sacramento River Cats, which is quite nice, the San Jose Giants, who play in a park that must be over 80 years old but for some reason has a wonderful charm about it, and Banner Island Ballpark, home of the Stockton Ports, which is a very nice venue in a city that’s not.

Whether you’re a true fan of a baseball or not, the experience of taking in a game is well worth the time. We recommend
AT&T BallparkAT&T BallparkAT&T Ballpark

A beautiful park on a glorious afternoon.
going to a minor league game, which won’t leave your wallet smarting and still provide a uniquely American experience.







Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Ferry to SF Giants gameFerry to SF Giants game
Ferry to SF Giants game

great way to get to the game
Attempting to look coolAttempting to look cool
Attempting to look cool

Tough when you're an A's Fan!
Action packedAction packed
Action packed

the grand view
TrinketsTrinkets
Trinkets

People actually buy this stuff, amazing!!
RefreshmentsRefreshments
Refreshments

Got to quench that thirst!
Ferry boats to gameFerry boats to game
Ferry boats to game

A great way to go to the ball field...
Friends at a gameFriends at a game
Friends at a game

Sharing the experience makes it even more fun.


29th August 2011

Girls like baseball too!
Loved the blog and am passing it on to my son. He and his 12 year old daughter and 12 year old step- daughter do road trips every summer to visit: 1. State capitals and 2: any ball park ( major or minor they can detour to on their trips. It is even better if they can catch a REd Sox game:-) There is a beautiful ball park ( Redbird Park) here in Memphis. It is a AAA team for the St. Louis Cardinals. I took my granddaughter there in April. We had 2nd row seats almost behind home plate for $20!! My favorite pics were the 'never too young' and 'never too old'. Thanks. Carolyn /Gunga
29th August 2011

Hi Carolyn
Great hearing from you again. We love going to games. Glad you feel it is worthy sharing our blog with your son. That is a compliment. We will have to go to a game in Redbird park when we are in the area. Baseball is for everyone-- yes, never too young and never too old. 2nd row seats are fabulous. The SF Giants ballpark is amazing beautiful and has a grand view of the bay. One of the best views we've seen at a ballpark.
29th August 2011

captured
Hey there, I really enjoyed your blog - I might even check out a game some time! Beth and Josh go to Grasshopper's games and seem to love it. Claudia
29th August 2011

Baseball
We love going to games. The game is only part of the ambiance of the ballpark. Hope you will go.
29th August 2011

BASEBALL
Great blog. We try to make it to the Mariner's games a few times a year....even on years like this when the team is less than spectacular. We love it for all the reasons you listed. Sonja
31st August 2011

Yay for the boys of summer!
You captured this perfectly. There is nothing like it. Hope you've gone to a Mudhens game since they moved from the Rec Center. Our Grasshoppers are fun too (Natty Greene's on Thursdays for a buck!). I do think the Mudhens have it on the name though - is there any moniker as unusual?
31st August 2011

Hello from afar
I love receiving your blogs - I feel I've traveled thousands of miles while not having left my desk! Lots of love to you both. Ian & Olaf
2nd September 2011

One Game
Nice post. We did get to one baseball game in Santiago in Cuba. Unfortunately, the other half of this partnership is insisting that one game is sufficient to make a judgement. Working on that one, but then she still insists that cricket is boring and that has been a campaign of over 40 years.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb