Downtown in the rain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
December 30th 2004
Published: December 30th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Cops going for donutsCops going for donutsCops going for donuts

In Union Square
Today started with the free breakfast as usual, we were meant to be going to the College Bowl final today but it was $60 a ticket!! It's the equivilant of Napier V Abertay, granted played in front of 60,000 punters but there was zero danger I was going to be allowed to blow our budget on a bunch of students throwing a ball about so we decided to take a wander into town.

As we got into Union Square it started to batter down with rain, when it rains here it does it in style, we wandered in and out of a few shops and as usual I bought a trackie top that I didn't need, just means all the more that I have to wear when flying as the rucksack is filled to capacity and then some. Fiona done well to avoid the pressure of the sales and lead me away from spending more money, it would have been cheaper to go to the football after all.

We had some lunch and it was still raining so we decided to go to the pictures, "Meet the Fockers", it was hillarious, a great couple of hours keeping dry. We
China TownChina TownChina Town

from our hostel into downtown
then wandered right through China Town, the biggest in the USA so they say and ended up at a couple of pubs, it ain't cheap to drink here I tell thee. There's a lot of 'Micro Breweries' here that brew there own beer, it's expensive, warm and not very nice, I've vowed to stick to the Bud from now on, our local gives you a pint for $4 and that's the cheapest we've seen.

It was still pouring at night so we went to an Italian round the corner, it was decent but as seems to be the story here we can't finish any meals, the portions are huge but it's not all that expensive, $30 for two mains and a bottle of wine, about 17 pounds.

We were shattered so in bed for 11pm, Hogmanay tomorrow and we plan to celebrate it twice at 4pm for the Scottish New Year then at midnight here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb