San Francisco to Point Reyes, California


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When we left Yosemite (5/24) it was raining. Our plan was to buy groceries, do laundry and find a place to stay near San Francisco so we could drive over the Golden Gate Bridge early Sunday morning. We accomplished our goals and spent the night at San Leandro, an Oakland suburb.
CT was on the road by 7:15 am Sunday. Traffic was manageable and Ginny got us to the Golden Gate Bridge in an hour with no problems. We didn’t have to go downtown, but we did drive through the city. We stopped on the SF (south) side of the bridge for photos. Crossed the bridge and stopped on the Marin County (north) side for more photos. You’re allowed to walk the bridge so Frank went to about the middle. I didn’t get as far. It’s a very picturesque bridge.
Then we headed to Point Reyes National Seashore about 30 minutes from SF down coastal Highway 1. This was an unplanned stop, but we found out the park crosses the San Andreas Fault and Frank wanted to see it. We were pleasantly surprised. It was a great park with lots to see. We spent the day and saw the fault line (1906 earthquake), visited 2 of the numerous beaches and saw a number of birds. The shoreline isn’t as pretty as Big Sur and the ocean was fairly calm. The area has been used for ranching since the 1860’s. There are lots of cattle and dairy cows. They graze amidst the fog. It’s a chilly, misty area.
We found a KOA campground about an hour away. We were nervous about finding a site on the holiday weekend. The scenery on the drive from the seashore to Petuluma, where we stayed was very pretty. I’m beginning to really enjoy the brown hills with grass that ranges in color from blonde to toast brown.
We don’t usually stay at KOA’s. This one was packed and it was hopping! They had a huge pool, petting farm, outdoor movie, ice cream social, hayrides - -lots of activities. and lots of people. The air was thick with campfire smoke. It was “toe-to-toe” camping, but it’s easy to see why families would like it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

San Francisco SkylineSan Francisco Skyline
San Francisco Skyline

Looking through the haze
San Andreas Fault Pt. Reyes Nat'l SeashoreSan Andreas Fault Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore
San Andreas Fault Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore

These two fences show the distance the earth moved on the 1906 earthquake. No "cracks" are evident now.
Drake's Beach Pt. ReyesDrake's Beach Pt. Reyes
Drake's Beach Pt. Reyes

It was chilly and misty. No one was swimming.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb