Golden Gate Bridge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 7th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up to a damp drizzly morning. Our drive along the coast was exciting - too exciting for me. I was the one hanging out over the drop to the cliffs and ocean below. We saw a quaint lighthouse at Point Arena. We were surprised that most of what we saw today was farms and pastures right along the ocean. This reminded us of Nova Scotia, where it is mostly farmland along the coast. Cows were out to pasture in these fields on cliffs directly above the ocean. I didn't see any fence to keep them in - they are probably too smart to get too close to the edge.

Stopped at an A&W Rootbeer for lunch. The lunch wasn't so hot, but the root beer was great. My sister Diane and I both worked st an A&W as teenagers. Dave says no wonder they are out of business in most places - they have to selection of food.

The we came over the hill and saw the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a beautiful sight. We stopped at the overlook and saw the bridge, Alcatraz, San Francisco, the Oakland Bay Bridge and all the beautiful sailboats in
Campsite at Van Damme State ParkCampsite at Van Damme State ParkCampsite at Van Damme State Park

We left the cmapsite this morning in drizzle and fog
one lovely shot. The sun had finally come out and it was a beautiful sight on a beautiful day. We decided not to take the boat over to Alcatraz - it was around 12:30 when we got to San Fran and we didn't want to leave the van with all of our wordly possessions in it parked somewhere.

We drove throught the city, saw a streetcar, saw Coit Tower and many beautiful, old buildings. We actually found our way through the city without getting lost and headed in Route 80 over the Oakland Bay Bridge. Dave saws he was more impressed with that bridge the the Golden Gate. This was a turning point for us - no pun intended - for the first time in our trip we are heading east. Looks like our trip is about half over.

We continued on driving east and was stuck in rush hour traffic - grrr we hate cities. We went through Livermore and Stockton, CA on our way to Yosemite National Park. We hadn't intended to drive all the way to Yosemite, but there were no campgrounds near the highway, so we decided to keep going and got to Yosemite around 6:00 pm.


We found a campsite right away at Hodgdon Meadows. We settled in, had hamburger chilli for supper and watched another old movie with John Barrymore before retiring for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Oakland Bay BridgeOakland Bay Bridge
Oakland Bay Bridge

We were hoping there wouldn't be any earthquakes while we were here.


Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb