Are You One?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
February 19th 2018
Published: February 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Who is in the air at any one time? The exact numbers, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware, are on average, 9,728 planes with a total of 1,270,406 people. That would make the skies the 156th most populous country in the world, right between Estonia and East Timor. The US alone has 61,000 people in the air at one time.







A few years back, Virgin America conducted a highly scientific study on its Facebook page, in which 41%!o(MISSING)f men admitted to crying at in-flight movies, and 55%!o(MISSING)f people said they felt more emotional while flying. We, too, have straight up bawled watching Gran Torino on a flight, so we looked into it -- the stresses of travel, plus the decreased oxygen and mild hypoxia one experiences at altitude, has a major effect on moods. It’s not just you.







KLM was the world's very first airline, established in 1919. They were followed by Qantas in 1920. Qantas also invented Business Class back in 1979.







An airplane lands or takes off every 37 second from Chicago's busy O'Hare Airport.







My favorite Singapore Airlines, spends $700 million on food each year, along with $16 million for my wine.







During a three hour flight, you can lose as much as a liter and a half of body fluid.







What was the original name of JFK Airport in NYC? ** answer below







Alaska Airlines was the first to use the internet and on line check in back in 1999.







The Boeing 747 plane has flown more than 5.6 billion people, roughly 80% of the world's population.







Each and every day, 2 million passengers in the US board a plane for 30,000 flights.







Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao is the CEO of VietJet Aviation, and is soon to become a billionaire, thanks to her idea of staffing her planes with bikini clad women. It might be controversial, but it's a pretty brilliant plan.








Since July 2015, Air Malta has been offering services aimed at enhancing customers' experience. This includes hand, feet and neck massages for passengers for free, apart from spa vouchers as well as beauty products.








Since 2011, people flying between New Zealand and Los Angeles have had the chance to purchase skycouches, otherwise termed as cuddle class. These are basically seats that can turn into couches or beds, very useful for couples and families.








The no-frills airline flies to over 90 destinations in Europe, Israel and North Africa. The interesting thing is, it offers a 'blind booking' service, wherein you select what you're looking for on your trip such as a party city or the city with the best shopping, the dates you want to travel. The airline provides a list of potential destinations that you might land up at and you don’t find out where you are going until after you book your ticket. I like this idea!








KLM offers a 'Meet and Seat' service, wherein you can view other passengers’ Facebook or LinkedIn profile details and see where they’ll be sitting, long before your flight leaves the ground. You can then select where you would rather sit as well. It's a good way to avoid annoying kids, but it can also be a little creepy.







So, next time you are getting on that flight to your ideal vacation destination, just think of a few of these weird, but true facts!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb