West Coast Day 17


Advertisement
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up early to visit Alcatraz, I love San Francisco it's such a lovely city! We catch the bus one block away and make our way to the ferry terminal, Steve did not have the correct money and the driver does not give change and before we know it, we've missed our stop. We have a bit of walk to the ferry, but it's an interesting walk through the city. We travel by ferry across the bay and arrive at Alcatraz, lots of walking to be done, it was well worth a look, although we were a little disappointed as a lot of the areas where blocked off so we were unable to see everything, after about 1 ½ we head back to the fairy and back to San Francisco, we walk again through the Marina and back towards our Motel for and afternoon coach tour of SF, we stop for Lunch at an old Drive In Hamburger place...Mels drive inn, it was great. The buildings are amazing, all these different, what I would call townhouses, look amazing, all different colours, and lots of colourful plants everywhere against the buildings, just stunning, the Spanish influence certainly makes this town. The bus tour was good: San Francisco reminds me so much of home, I love it! We have Chinese for dinner then head back to our room. Off to Monterey tomorrow!

Accommodation:

Chelsea Motor Inn
2095 Lombard St
San Francisco, California

Thoughts: This accommodation was well priced, in a good position, has free parking and is close to public transport, we would stay again. If your precious about your accommodation, the Chelsea is not a new premise and is a bit out-dated and if you're a noise phobic, request a room opposite Lombard street. If you're in SF for just a couple of days, you won't use your car.

When standing outside the Chelsea, across the road and up a bit is a fantastic Sushi Bar, the Marina Sushi Bar, as soon as the plate hits the table, you know it's a Japanese chief, beautiful cuisine.

When Staying in San Francisco you'll find that at check-in or when talking to reception staff they'll bring the conversation around to bus tours. It would appear that this market is very competitive in SF and I'm sure the staff gets a kick back. We took a 4 hour tour. Your picked up outside your hotel and dropped back there, it was well worth the price and the tour guide was great


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb