Day 11


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hitting the freeway again today and I'm starting to feel pretty confident about our trip to Seaworld in San Diego. It's actually quite straight forward to get there since the on ramp to I5 is about 500 feet from our hotel and Seaworld is just off I5 at the other end. Easy right? .... not quite. We started out about 9:15 hoping to miss any morning rush hour traffic but early enough to get there at a decent time and made good time for the first 60 miles it's just the last 30 miles that were more eventful. After getting stuck in a traffic jam for the better part of 30 minutes we finally started to move of course resulting in me taking the wrong lanes and going inland rather then staying close to the coast. In didn't take long to figure out I was on the wrong freeway, so we just ended up exiting and figuring how to go cross the city to where we needed to be. So after those delays we still arrived at Seaworld some 45 minutes later then we hoped.

The day was overcast and almost cool, in fact Michelle and the Boys started the day wearing their hoodies. Our first show we went to was the sea lion and otter show which was a cute story about the crew of the SS Motley. We dared to sit in the 4th row which is in the "SPLASH ZONE" but didn't get that wet although the seats were great for the show. Next we went to the Killer Whale-Shamu Show and sat in the "SOAK ZONE" again, although Noah protested so we got him a Seaworld Rain Poncho. Unlike the sea lion show, the "SOAK ZONE" for Shamu is everything it billed as and more. We were the first ones to be drenched when Shamu did a nice leap right in front of us (maybe 30 feet away). After that it was a series of tail splashes and fin waves that completed the soaking. We could taste and feel the salt water in our eyes after that, all except Noah who stayed nice and dry in his Poncho. The Dolphin show was good but a bit of a let down after Shamu and Seaworld's version of Cirque du Soleil - "Cirque du Mer" was an entertaining change to the animal shows set on and over the water. Along with visiting a bunch of the exhibits and going on a couple of rides we were able to spend close to 8 hours in the park.

Following Jim's suggestion, we waited until evening to return from San Diego to avoid any heavy traffic. It was a good idea since by the time we had a bite to eat and hit the highway it was 8:00 and traffic was relatively light. We must have tuckered the boys out since they all fell asleep on the drive home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



14th July 2007

You look pretty dry to me!
Where are the shots of you in your wet t-shirts?

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb