Prelude to the Wedding...in San Diego


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

This is the first of two blogs about our trip to California for my son Will and daughter in law Mercy's wedding. Our daughter Rosanna suggested that we join her family, Evan and grand children Connor and Logan for a mini vacation in San Diego before going to the wedding venue in Temecula. Of course, we agreed as we wanted to spend quality time with each member of our family, which is so often lost when there is a large gathering.

15 May 2022 Sunday. This was our travel day. Flying in this day and age is so miserable with delays and full flights. This was to be no exception. While waiting in line to board the flight from Colorado Springs to Denver, where we would catch a connecting flight to San Diego, an announcement was made that our flight was delayed three hours. This meant we would miss our connecting flight. Customer service said that we could drive to the Denver International Airport where there was time to catch our flight, but out baggage would arrive in San Diego later that evening. We would be given a certificate for future flights do to this inconvenience. So we drove the one hour to DIA. I was convenient that we didn't have to take our baggage or check in again. We went through TSA security and then directly to the gate where we caught the flight to San Diego as it was boarding. Rosanna and family were there to meet us. We checked into the Marriott Marquis Hotel right on the yacht harbor. Our rooms were connecting. The first thing Connor and Logan wanted to do was snuggle with their granny. We had dinner in one of the hotel dining rooms, then returned to our room to get caught up with each others lives.

16 May 2022 Monday. We started the day eating a huge pancake for breakfast. The kids were excited to visit the San Diego Zoo so that was our first stop. We spent most of the day there, leaving time for Balboa Park and then a refreshing swim back at the hotel. We initially walked around the Outback, Africa Rocks and Urban Jungle areas. The zoo is so large that walking to every area would be difficult. So, we took the 45-minute bus tour that wends its way to every area of the park. Logan was fascinated with the Komodo Dragon, and Connor liked the Maine Wolf, which stinks. Rosanna asked what I thought of the zoo. I told her that I was somewhat disappointed as there were just a few animals in rather old enclosures. Given the high price of entry tickets, it didn't seem that much money being spent to improve the animal habitat, but most was going to their research. I didn't think it deserved the world class reputation...our Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs is much better. She was surprised my my response. We then drove through Balboa Park on the way back to the hotel where Evan and the boys enjoyed swimming, I enjoyed the spa, and Linda and Rosanna enjoyed margaritas while watching us. As dinner time approached we went to the Old Town we we all enjoyed Mexican food. We then stopped at the airport to pick up our baggage; then back to our hotel for the evening.

17 May 2022 Tuesday. We spent the morning at the Children's Playground at the Waterfront Park and the USS Midway Museum. The kids didn't want to leave either place, but Rosanna was determined to visit La Jolla Cove and the Tidal Pools. First we stopped in the historic section of La Jolla for some more Mexican food. I had the best ceviche I've ever eaten...even better than Peru! We finally found parking and walked to see the sea lions at the Cove. Then we continued at the Tidal Pools with their unusual erosion patterns in the rocks. The kids enjoyed doing somersaults in the grassy park. We then drove to the airport to pick up our daughter Tamara, whose flight arrived at 6 PM. It was great to see her again as she and the family moved from our home to New Jersey last October. She was quite tired after a long day of traveling from the East Coast. We returned immediately where we caught up with her life. The kids wanted MacDonalds (Rosanna doesn't like them to eat much fast food!), so Evan went out to get dinner. On the way home he was held up at a train crossing where the trail didn't move. He finally turned around and found another way...such a long suffering dad!

18 May 2022 Wednesday. Today we transitioned from being with our daughters to being with two of my sisters, Judy and Carol, and our brother in law Steve. My third sister Sue, who lives in South Carolina, can't endure flying long distances so missed the wedding. Judy was arriving at San Diego at 11 AM, so Evan dropped me off to rent a van and then pick her up before Rosanna and Tamara and kids drove to Will and Mercy's home in Tarzana. They helped complete the wedding place cards and table decorations, and stayed overnight there...my kids siblings day! Judy, Linda and I ate at the Cheesecake Factory for lunch and then drove to Cabrillo National Monument to get the sweeping view of San Diego harbor and the Pacific Ocean. I always enjoyed coming here when I had business trips to San Diego! Then we returned to the airport to pick up my sister Carol and husband Steve, the officiant at the wedding. We drove to Temecula; catching up with my siblings who have a great sense of humor. It was laughs all the way to our hotel. For dinner we ate in the historic part of Temecula, again with much hilarity!

Thus ends the prelude to the wedding, where both Will's and Mercy's family get together for the next two days...in the next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th May 2022

Lucky you
How wonderful that you could take this fab family vaca. Thanks so much for sharing.
27th May 2022

Safari Park next time
The next time you come out to the San Diego area, make a point of seeing the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido, about midway between San Diego and Temecula. The enclosures are immense, and animals live in family groups in natural surroundings. The SD Zoo has a primary interest in conservation, and they brought the California Condor back from the brink of extinction. They are also working with conservation teams around the world to save the Northern White Rhino from extinction; there are only two (two!) Northern White Rhinos left in the world, but the SD Safari park has frozen cell lines from the Northern White Rhino and are working to make sure this species doesn't die out completely.
28th May 2022

Reconnecting…and travelling
Hey Bob and Linda and it’s great to read your posts again. We didn’t travel much during the pandemic’s peak of course, but we are back at it now. Standby….Greg (GregCath)
28th May 2022

Reconnecting...
I look forward to reading your blogs about your forthcoming trips. We have been cooped up too long. I still plan to visit Scotland and Sweden in Aug/Sep. Hopefully, by then all testing requirements will be lifted...I've had two vaccinations, one booster, and caught covid in Oct 2021...that should be enough!
29th May 2022

Family Time
How lovely to be able to have some wonderful family time, and what a good idea to do so as indeed, weddings don't always allow quality time to catch up with people. It looks like you had a wonderful time in San Diego and around ?
5th June 2022

Family time is good
San Diego offered a lot of options for outings with the family. I'm so glad you had the time together.
24th July 2022
Logan at the San DIego Zoo

I have once seen Komodo Dragons in their real habitat
About 20 years ago I visited Indonesia and went to Komodo Island and saw Komodo Dragons in their real habitat. But seeing them in a zoo must be quite an experience too. They sure are fascinating creatures. /Ake

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb