Palm Springs part 3!!


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday 8th Aug (sorry still working on pics, if anyone know why we can save after resizing can you let us know!! Thanks)

Today we woke early and set out to walk the route at Indian Canyon we had missed the day before. We took advantage of some local knowledge from a tribal park ranger called Ralph. He showed us every thing from rock formations, and how the springs work. He pointed out desert plants that were used by tribes who lived at Indian canyon, and we learnt which were used for food and which were for medicine. Ralph also told us about the traditions of the Cahuilla (pronounced Kaw We ah) Indians and how they settled in Palm Springs. It was so neat to have an insight into what Indian Canyons and Palm Springs would have been like years ago. Ralph left us in the shade of the palm trees to walk back at leisure, but we wanted to explore another route that took us up into the hills above the canyon. So after a hot 2 mile loop we returned to the trading post for a cold drink and some well deserved shopping, just a few items to decorate our house.

There was another canyon called Tahquitz, I was keen to do before we left Palm Springs, this was an area that had been out of bounds to walker for 30 years but recently opened up to the public. The really neat thing about this walk is that there was a waterfall at the half way point. So even though it was midday and about 98f we set off with plenty of water and sun hats. There was only one other person on the trail, who we met at the waterfall. He was also a teacher from England, so after chatting to him about his Yosemite trip we got into the water to cool off. It was really something to swim under the falls in this tranquil and beautiful setting.

Next stop was the Joshua Tree National Park. Although we arrived late it was still great to see so many trees and such a beautiful area preserved so well. The geologic landscape of Joshua Tree is also fascinating.

The rocks are just perfect for rock climbing as they have a really tough texture making them easy to grip. It was just all too tempting and we had to have a go at exploring some of the rock piles.

The next walk was an easy 1 mile wildlife walk at hidden valley, an area cattle hustlers used to hide their stolen herds. As we crept through the valley and rounded a corner a coyote step out in front of us but soon dashed away again as we both went for the cameras!! We also saw chipmunks, lizards and cool cacti. After a few more view points, we went onto skull rock. It took a while to work out how to photograph it and after several attempts to climb I gave up and we moved on.
Next stop was for food as it was 8pm and we hadn't eaten all day!! We were rewarded with a lovely meal at 29 Palms Inn and we ate outside by the pool with live music playing. It was a perfect setting to a long but perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb