Breakfast in Oakland, Talking Travel with Joel


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Oakland
May 25th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.805, -122.273

After our bicycle ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, today was going to be a much less active day. We began the day by meeting Joel, whom we had met in Costa Rica this year for breakfast in Oakland at the Buttercup Restaurant, near Jack London Square. Joel lives in Oakland and recommended we meet here. The #72 bus dropped us about a block from our destination.

One of the things we noticed as we rode along were the very interesting buildings that still exist in Oakland. There are many buildings from the 20's and 30's still standing and in many instances are either being restored and have been restored to their former glory.

There are a couple of 20's era movie "palaces" along San Pablo and Broadway, the two streets we traveled along. Joel gave us a ride home and told us some of the history of Oakland. He has lived in Oakland since he was a child and said some of the area that is now Emeryville was abandoned warehouses and a very desolate area.

We had a good time visiting with Joel about all the fun we had in Costa Rica and of course where we were going to travel next. He had a great story about his adventures after he had left Luna Llena and was trying to fly back to the states. Ah, the adventure of travel. Joel talked about his applying for the Foreign Service test and all the trials and tribulations that go along with it.

He gave us a ride back to the Outlet and so he gave us some of the history of Oakland from the perspective of a long time resident which was interesting. Said our goodbyes and hope to see him again either in Oakland or in our travels.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

will they make it to bus in timewill they make it to bus in time
will they make it to bus in time

kept stopping to take pictures and of course "the worrier" concerned we would not make it to the bus on time because they do run on time!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb