A Day Along Highway 49 and The Gold Country


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Old Highway 49 BridgeOld Highway 49 BridgeOld Highway 49 Bridge

Just North of Nevada City, CA
After much rain, we finally got a week-end of some fine weather and decided to take a short drive along Highway 49 and the very scenic South Yuba River Canyon. This day we made two stops, first at the old Highway 49 bridge.

The old Highway 49 bridge (1921) an outstanding example of the concrete Rainbow arch-style construction which was very common in the 1920's. After over 70 years of use, the bridge was closed to automobile traffic in 1993. The old bridge is now used for foot traffic and for viewing the spectacular river canyon, it is a good spot to river-watch and access to the water.

During the summer after the winter rains and the spring snow melt, the turquoise water slows down and turns crystal clear making for a great swimming hole.

Our second stop was at the South Yuba River State Park where the Bridgeport covered bridge, built in 1862, by David I. Wood, is one of only nine remaining in California. At 229 feet in length, is thought to be the longest arch/truss single span covered bridge in the United States.

Bridgeport has been a mining camp, stage stop and working ranch.
The Great Yuba RiverThe Great Yuba RiverThe Great Yuba River

Along Highway 49
The South Yuba River was the site of some of the richest placer deposits of gold discovered in California.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Yuba RiverYuba River
Yuba River

Great for swimming, just downstream from the bridge (center of photo) the swim hole is more than 12 ft. deep and crystal clear during the summer.
Historic Covered BridgeHistoric Covered Bridge
Historic Covered Bridge

On the Yuba River at Bridgeport, CA
Covered BridgeCovered Bridge
Covered Bridge

South Yuba River State Park
Covered BridgeCovered Bridge
Covered Bridge

A view inside.
Highway 49 CrossingHighway 49 Crossing
Highway 49 Crossing

Foot traffic only.
Bridgeport BridgeBridgeport Bridge
Bridgeport Bridge

South Yuba River State Park, Bridgeport California.


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 99; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb