Napa, isn't it all about the flowers?


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have landed in the wine capital of North America. Welcome to the Napa Valley. First regret, we should have stay way longer in the region. For a first, we should not have limited oursefve to the Napa Valley istself. We arrived here from the north, crossing first the Alexander and Knight Valley. These are not Napa, but they are not less beautiful than the better known south neighbour of Napa.

So to the north you've got the Alexander Valley, and to the east you've got Sonoma and Petaluma. Sadly, we didn't stop in the Alexander Valley, we just crossed this beautiful place. It was pretty late after a long day on the road, and the little ones were more than ready to reach our hotel. Next regret, we didn't had the time to go to Sonoma...maybe next time...

My next and biggest regret, no dinner for Mari and I at The French Laundry of Thomas Keller in Yountville. The restaurant is one of the best kitchen in North America...but at 300 usd a person the degustation menu... that's over 1000 usd for two including wine, taxes and tip...sorry, out of budget...way out of budget for us....

So these were for the regrets. Now, we did enjoy the few hours we spent here. We stay for one night at the Westin right next to Napa Old Downtown. Not really a room, as we got a nice upgrade with a huge open kitchen...pretty impressive. Mari and I spent some time driving through the vineyards. The place is simply impressive and beautiful.

No wine tasting here, no restaurant here for us. Here if you taste (I don't say drink), and don't buy a bottle, you still pay for the tasting. Oh ,yes, and don't forget, I still drive too!

Why no tasting or much drinking here, well...look at the prices...they are high! The reason is pretty simple, and understandable. Napa Valley is next to the Silicon Valley and San Francisco, two of the wealthiest USA suburbs, right at their doorsteps. So why not consume local if you can do it...all this wealth has simply driven the wine prices to levels in competition to the Grand Cru Classe of Bordeaux or Burgundy. Wine may be amazing, but for 30usd a bottle, you have just ok wine, nothing unforgettable...and sincerly, for 50usd, I would tend to prefer a special reserve pinot noir from New Zealand! Didn't stop us to shop for some pretty good and enjoyable wines, and had a great time drinking them.

Napa Valley is simply beautiful, they have created their own success, and that should not be blamed, it should only receive our congratulations...sadly, it has also driven prices to region...than make them not that competitive if you know your way around the continents.

I wish I had come here earlier, and I know one day we will be back...maybe to have dinner at The French Laundry, hopefully...that day for sure we won't be on a two month trip on the road like the one we are currently enjoying!

You are going to ask me what about the title of this blog? Well, we saw flowers...flowers and flowers. They are everywhere, and made our visit to the Napa Valley a seriously beautiful affair!

Next entry, back to an amazing city...under the sun, as always for us...and the wind...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



28th August 2011

You are so right!
You can purchase fine wines in the grocery stores and the pharmacies in the areas and save a great deal of money. The wine tastings have become a racket. I still enjoy the tastings but have stopped buying wines at the wineries. I love the ambiance of the wineries and many have good food. As you say everyone is familiar with Napa but Sonoma, Paso Robles, Mendocino.....and many, many others.

Tot: 0.59s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 41; qc: 126; dbt: 0.2844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb