A Fall Trip For 2019


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mojave
September 15th 2019
Published: October 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Dale and I each subscribe to a site on Facebook called 395. This is a site for people to post andor enjoy photos from areas off of the 395. For those of you who don’t know what 395 is, it is a highway that runs from north of Los Angeles to Canada, on the east side of the Sierra Mountains. It accesses Mt. Whitney to the west and Death Valley to the east.

We’d been home about a week from the grandkids trip and the trip to Morro Bay. We had checked Facebook and were admiring the photos posted on the 395 site. We both, at the same time, said to each other that we should go to see the leaves changing off of the 395.

We thought that we’d take a short trip up to our favorite spots, North Lake and South Lake. These are areas that we have backpacked out of before; North Lake before we were married and then with kids and South Lake in recent years. The leaves turn beautiful colors around these lakes in the autumn.

We had an appointment for Friday so we thought we could just throw everything into the RV and leave after the morning appointment. We’d already cleaned the RV up from our last trip so it just needed to be packed.

We realized that we would need to see my mom on our way out so that would be our 1st stop. Then about Wednesday, we realized we’d be ½ way to Nate and Bekki’s so it made sense to continue north. Of course, then we’d be nearly to Clayton and Jen’s in Oregon so may as well stop there, then being only 5 hours from Seattle we may as well see Dale’s cousin Norman, then we may as well go on into Canada and start scouting around for an area to live.

We let kids know that we’d stop at their house, in Oregon in time for Clayton’s birthday. We’d probably need to have a meal together. Well after letting Clayton and Jen know our plan they asked if we could be at their house on Sunday, Oct. 5th and stay for a full week as they would need help that week.

Our trip expanded from 3 days to nearly 4 weeks in the matter of a day. We expanded it further when we decided that friends should join us at the end of our trip with a stop back in the Sierra’s.

We quickly packed the RV, now with cool weather clothes and warm weather clothes. It took a little longer to pack then we’d hoped but were able to leave Friday afternoon.

By the time we got to see my mom, it was nearly 3pm. We visited for an hour and took off. We’d decided that we’d only drive to Red Rock Canyon 1-1/2 hours. We wanted to stop while it was daylight for our 1st night out.

Red Rock Canyon is a favorite place, we have camped there with our boys, their friends, the neighbor girls , and grandkids. There are no hookups, no cell service for the internet, only wind and quiet. It was a great place to stop for the start of our trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb