Bear and Bug and Dogs OH MY!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mill Valley
September 8th 2013
Published: September 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was getting to know you day....

Getting to know the property we are staying at and getting to know the area known as Stinson Beach. What a beautiful sunny day to sit on the patio and look out at beautiful San Francisco. Spoiled this morning by the electric tea pot that heats up surprisingly fast and the wonderful French Press coffee that we drank. The Bear has decided that we should eat and then take a drive up HWY 1 to see the ocean. As we are getting ready- our neighbors i.e. the owners are cooking something that is making my mouth water and my wings flutter! We decided to say hi and see if they "had an iron" we could borrow. Tatyanna our host was busy cooking, while her son was busy making Mimosa's to celebrate his acceptance into Grad School. Joe told us all about driving up the coast and we made our way out.

Mill Valley is a quaint little village with shops, cafes and coffee houses. It bustles with people, children and of course DOGS. All of which the Bear must pet- and so we do..... as we leave we take the "path less traveled" which leads thru mountain side homes and Sequoia trees as round as our car. Eventually making it to Hwy 1 (is that because it runs along the ocean and is the first highway off the ocean?)we wind, and wind, and wind, and wind, and wind up and down and up and down to sights of the ocean that are breathtaking (not daring to take my eyes off the road for the next 90 degree turn we have to make)....is that a road or a driveway- we often were confused.

As we made into Stinson beach- parking the car was like finding a parking spot on Black Friday- except today was Sunny and Saturday. We hit a dead end i.e. members only driveway and as we headed back we found a nice lady with........yes.......3 dogs........and Bear greeted them while I waited for the parking space- much to the dismay of many other anxious beach combers. A short trek up the path leads to the Pacific Ocean. The waves are crashing, the children playing the dogs are sniffing...... this is a busy place. Portuguese Waterdogs, Rhodesian Ridge Back, Pit Bulls, Jack Russell Terriers, Boxers, Poodles, Lhasa Apsos, Newfoundland, Bedlington Terrier and of course my favorite- Labrador Retrievers.

Most of the Dogs were playing but some of them were training- What dog doesn't love to jump in the waves and retrieve a dummy? I spot the yellow- just like my Gage and I strike up a conversation with the owner- John Martin. His dog- Lucy Pearl (born on Pearl Harbor day 8 months ago) reminds me of Gage my 5 year old lab. I introduce my absent dog as Sir Gage Dubrovnik Ramlow only to find out that John Martin who happens to play Martin guitars and his family are from Dubrovnik, Croatia. REALLY- what are the odds? John lived there for a short while and gets to visit his family there. What a lucky soul. Dubrovnik is the most beautiful jewel of the Mediterranean according to Earnest Hemmingway- you must visit there if you ever get a chance- it's beautiful.

Walking back along the beach it was evident today that dogs are not your whole life but they make your life whole- they truly are mans best friend. They come in many shapes and sizes, just like people but they accept each other as is......a blessing that we all should possess.

Sand and the surf- checked off the bucket list- the Bear and the Bug have both set foot on both sides of our continents oceans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

lean on melean on me
lean on me

soon to be known as the bear and the bug flower picture


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb