Zip Zap Zoom


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Golden GateGolden GateGolden Gate

From North Parking lot
When: May 19-20 2007
Where: Coastal Mendocino, NorCal
What: Van Damme SP & Mackerricher SP

The North coast is a little foggy & cold in Summer. But if we wait for an ideal weather, we'd be waiting for ever.
I booked this campsite in Mackerricher SP simply because Russian Gulch, Van Damme were filled up 1 month in advance.

Coming to think of it, we've never been to this part of the state at all.
Give a place & dear hubby comes up with a bunch of hikes from his bible(101 best hikes of CA).


Sat, 19th May:
Plans to start early failed(due to personal carelessness)! Our breakfast stop was at the North parking lot of the Golden Gate. And boy, what a breakfast it was!
I don't know if I can do justice to the view, but it goes something like this. The bridge was invisible from 19th street. Culprit: low clouds. Even when we turned around the corner & crossed the toll booth the bridge was not visible. A good half way on the bridge & we could see parts of it. As we came to the end, it was like no clouds ever existed.
19th Street, SF
19th Street, SF
Angel island, Sausilito & the rest of the Marin country was clear. Pulled up at the parking lot & looking behind, half of the bridge was gone into the clouds & the rest half stood there, utterly majestic.
How many times I would have seen it stand there. Not once have I not stopped to look behind one more time before I leave nor has it failed to strike me in awe. Not one single time!


We realized we had 3-4 more hrs of driving before we could rest. We took hwy 101 all the way until Willits where we turned W onto hwy 20. After 33 miles of winding left & right we hit the ocean. Not much fog, I should say, but cool, windy & not so sunny. We had our lunch at Pomo beach state park in Ft.Braggs.


We drove a little further until we crossed the town & came to Mackerricher SP. We were pretty much on the beach. site 34 would walk you to the dunes & we were on site 28. Lush green grass(filled with wildflowers) with a fire ring, picnic table & cupboard adorned our site.

Setting up
Golden Gate
Golden Gate
the tent, we wanted to visit the much talked about Botanical Gardens 4 miles south(only one of its kind facing the ocean). The parking lot was full. The entrance fee is a huge $10 pp. It is a long 1.5 mile loop if you want to go all the way to the ocean.
The Park as such had a lot of Rhododendrons, all in various colors. Filling the gaps were Iris garden, woodland park, heather, Mediterranean flowers etc. After a little while, I got bored with macro shots. The ocean was beautiful (do I need to say that?).

After spending a little over 3 hrs, we drove into town to glass beach. Will the sand shine in the sun like glass? It is a short 5 minute walk to the beach itself. Ganesh then explained that it was previously a dumping station. What?
The beach is beautiful. Open & cold! Lots of haystacks & rocks.


Ganesh had a must-do hike for the day! We hit N for about 7 miles from Cleone until we reached the base of Ten mile river bridge. We parked in the small
Golden GateGolden GateGolden Gate

In front of the rising Sun; Angel Island & Alcatraz in the background
parking lot.
It was a crazy climb on the sandy
Golden Gate
Golden Gate
In front of the rising Sun; Angel Island & Alcatraz in the background
dunes to get an overall view of the 10 mile dunes to the south. To the N, the ten mile river winds its way to the ocean which means lots of wildlife opportunity. Walking on the dunes was very demanding even with our sand shoes. The trail then became plain ground where we had to follow a horse print to get to the beach. There was no way we wanted to get lost, there
It was like a spit. We could not cross the river at least then. Maybe on a low tide. The other side of the beach seemed drive through beach. We had the whole beach to ourselves where dear hubby was bent on teaching me 'frisbee throwing techniques'. Somehow that is more difficult than it seems. I seemed to be a decent learner then, though.
Anyways, the day didn't end just yet. On our way back a fellow beach lover informed how cold it could get that night inside out tent
A drive back into the park to Laguna point
Golden GateGolden GateGolden Gate

Ganesh trying to push the GG with his finger :)
(Seal rock) for sunset seemed like a plan. The waves were huge. The Sun would set in an hr or so. It got cold & windy.
Golden Gate
Golden Gate
Ganesh trying to push the GG with his finger 😊

We were tired & were more than ready for dinner.
We had to set the campfire. It became cold after sunset. At some point, we did think, 'could we pull though the night?'
We warmed ourselves after dinner until the stars finally showed up. It got too cold for me. Ganesh followed in a bit. We hit our sleeping bags around 10.30pm.


Sun 20th May:
We got up fresh, alive & surprisingly warm after a good night sleep. It did not get as cold as we expected it to get.
By the time we left, some of them had left too, but a lot of them were still around. "Why?", I wondered. Summer vacation? Maybe.
Anyways, we started driving S on hwy 1. There was no way Ganesh would have had me bypass the Pt. Cabrillo lighthouse board. I 'had' to detour. It was a good 0.5 mile pleasant walk to the lighthouse. Maybe he is right.
Golden GateGolden GateGolden Gate

Better view of Alcatraz
Lighthouses are beautiful! Was it too late to get him a lighthouse passport? Maybe.


Ganesh compromised on the Russian Gulch waterfalls hike. There just was no time. So, we hit Van Damme SP. A beautiful park across from the
Golden Gate
Golden Gate
Better view of Alcatraz
ocean. The litte river that flows through the park 'was' a Salmon spawning route. Not anymore! All the dams people built across the river stopped them from coming in.
Fern canyon trail is a good 5 mile RT starting from the end of the park road. We were done in 2 hours(mostly flat).
Other hikes, some other time.


We headed home S along hwy 1. It was a gorgeous drive & a pleasant day too!
We could not help but stop at Pt. Arena light station. For $5 you can climb to the top. We did not do that, though.


We turned away from the Ocean along hwy 116 in Jenner along the Russian river. At Sebastol, we took hwy 12 to get to 101 again. Richmond San Rafael bridge led us to the East Bay & after having crossing MacArthur maze just before it was to close for construction(after the huge accident last month) we reached home around 8.30 pm.


Another buzzing weekend, I would say. But Mendocino, we'll come back.

-travelbuffs
Our knowledge is limited; For things unknown, sky is the limit.


FYI
Our Route Map
Anyone looking for
Pomo Beach State Park
Pomo Beach State Park
camping in the area, please book ahead(even on normal weekends).


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Mendocino Botanical GardensMendocino Botanical Gardens
Mendocino Botanical Gardens

White Rhododendrons
Mendocino Botanical GardensMendocino Botanical Gardens
Mendocino Botanical Gardens

colourful Rhododendrons
Mendocino Botanical GardensMendocino Botanical Gardens
Mendocino Botanical Gardens

colourful Rhododendrons-closeup
Mendocino Botanical GardensMendocino Botanical Gardens
Mendocino Botanical Gardens

North trail to the beach
Mendocino Botanical GardensMendocino Botanical Gardens
Mendocino Botanical Gardens

North trail to the beach
Glass BeachGlass Beach
Glass Beach

Fort Braggs
Glass BeachGlass Beach
Glass Beach

Hope he had a good catch
Mackerricher State ParkMackerricher State Park
Mackerricher State Park

The 10 mile dunes


22nd May 2007

Beach, campsite and national park - deadly combo
Dear Meera and Ganesh, Lovely to reach the blog - The pictures are beautiful too. Keep travelling and keep writing You have a combo like this in India too - The Point calimere wildlife sanctuary - The beach is a Kilometer away from the forest . You find the rare Blackbuck ( an antelope) here. Grassland line the beach and graduate into the forest . Parts of the forest are swampy . Wonderful birdlife. I have spent 8 days camping in this forest studying the birds. One night , soon after sunset, we saw huge clouds of birds ( himalayan wagtails) crossing the ocean to Srilanka . For six hours thousands of them crossed over . We watched the whole episode messimerised at the natural spectacle. Srilankan forest are 18 miles across the ocean. The oldest lighthouse in India ( working condition) built by the french is on this park. You note brought back such wonderful memories of Point Calimere. Lets all go to there together sometime. Take care geetha
28th May 2007

Troopers you are :)
Great that you guys are making a diary for me to look up places to visit when I come to CA. really cool pic of the golden gate.
30th May 2007

Meera, How come u r discovering such lovely places?? Gr8 nd thanks..

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 21; qc: 134; dbt: 0.1767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb