Mammoth Lakes


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Would you wash you car here?Would you wash you car here?Would you wash you car here?

Thought about it but no.....
Before we left Vegas, we had a quick bet for Joe - $20 on roulette, he came away with $10. Then we had the task of trying to get everything in the car - Oh yeah did I forget to mention we bought a suitcase?! Luckily 10 minutes later we were on our way, with the boot absolutely jam packed.

We programmed our next hotel into the TomTom - 8 hours it said. A few sighs and and we were off!

We passed through some near derelict towns, and some really pretty ones. There were a few scary moments like last year - Visions of films like Wolf Creek, The hills have eyes and wrong turn popping in mine and Joes heads - The fact that Thriller came on the radio didn't help either or the fact that we lost the signal from my mobile for almost 4 hours!!

We passed round the outskirts of Area 51 through towns such as Beatty, Goldfield and Tonopah then it was through Montgomery and through a really pretty town called Wild rose and into California. The hour/hour and half leading up to when we arrived in Mammoth Lakes was a really
How long?How long?How long?

We knew we had a long drive ahead of us but this long??!
nice drive - Winding roads, lakes, hardly any vehicles and the Sierra Nevada mountains were pretty cool. The drive in the end actually only took 5 hours and the stereo blasting out the Foo's, a bit of Elvis, Robbie and Now 69 (Joe) helped..!!!

We checked in, My mum and Joe chose to stay in the room, whilst myself and Nige went for a wander. Its a really nice little town. We did see a sign that said 'Do not feed the bears' we actually thought it was in jest but then see the local paper where a woman was mauled to death last week! Anyway - No feeding the bears for us then!! There was a place called the village at Mammoth - full of the usual bars, shops etc. We stayed round near our hotel on Main st though. This also had shops and restaurants - The place kind of reminds me a bit of the old tv show Due South - Doubt many of you remember that!

A couple of hours later, Nige and my mum went to the hotel bar, I joined them a little later, we had a few games of pool, dinner
Rolling hillsRolling hillsRolling hills

Nige overtaking one of the few cars we passed, The route was like this practically the whole way
then back to our room - with yet another long drive ahead of us tomorrow. The weather here is 80 in the day but drops to the 40s at night, its a bit of a shock from Vegas but will prepare us for San Francisco!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Area 51Area 51
Area 51

We did actually keep getting interference on the stereo here - but I'm sure that was just a coincidence......
Don't hang aroundDon't hang around
Don't hang around

You may never get out - Can't even remember the name of this place!
View from Hotel View from Hotel
View from Hotel

Mammoth Lakes
Twin LakesTwin Lakes
Twin Lakes

Mammoth Lakes


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb