FROLLICKING IN SANTA MONICA


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi Friends and Family,

So we're still on the topic of Santa Monica - the beachside of LA!

We took so many photos that it needed a blog of its own.

We had been on the Hop-on-Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour of "StarLine Tours" and were on the Yellow Route which went through Santa Monica Pier and Aquarium, 3rd Street Promenade, Rodeo Drive, Westwood Village, Fox Studios and Marilyn Monroe's grave side at Westwood Memorial.

Again, it was a very warm day and the place was packed with both tourists and locals as the place not only had a pier but also a mini amusement park and a Hippodrome (carousel) which is a National Historic Landmark. It was built in 1909.

We wanted to step foot on the Pacific Ocean so it was important that we frollicked in the freezing waters!

Santa Monica is a city in western Los Angeles County and is surrounded on three sides by the city of Los Angeles — Pacific Palisades on the northwest, Brentwood on the north, West Los Angeles on the northeast, Mar Vista on the east, and Venice on the southeast.

It was so named for Saint Monica of Hippo because the area on which the city is now located was first visited by Spaniards on her feast day and you can see and hear a lot of Spanish influences as most things are written in both English and Spanish.

Santa Monica is also known as the last stop shop and the end of the trail of Route 66. More on that in the next blog!

Oh, lest I forget - Baywatch!

Baywatch was an American action drama series about the Los Angeles County Lifeguards who patrolled the beaches of Los Angeles County starring David Hasselhoff otherwise known as "The Hoff" in Britain!

The show ran from 1990 to 1999 (and 1999-2001 as Baywatch Hawaii) and according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was the most watched TV show in the world of all time, with over 1.1 billion viewers a week!!

'Just had to take a photo or two. I would have done the running sequences too but I was the designated photographer so I couldn't!

Fun was had by all and then we had to go.

Back to Beverly Hills.

LOL!

We didn't bother with the Purple Route because we had unknowingly already done it!

See y'all!




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st January 2011

Good to be in America …
Hi Victoria & the Gentlemen, thank you for letting us take part on your westcoast-trip. Enjoy "your" wheather because ours isn't that fine;-). - 4 degrees celsius is all that petrus wants to give to us at the moment. Nevertheless life goes on in Berlin too, we keep the school running:-). Have a great time there and then (much later…) a very happy return, Daniel (student wsti)
1st February 2011

America is great!
Hi Daniel, Thanks for your Email & best wishes, we're really having a good time. We're in San Fransisco now but The Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon were great, Las Vegas was wow and the Yosemite National Park was exciting. I sent a few postcards to the office and hope they get there before I do LOL! We saw a coyote, a racoon and reindeer! 'Hope the weather in Berlin gets better! Greetings to everyone at school. Victoria. PS. Watch your spelling!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb