Hey from LA


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Exhibit AExhibit AExhibit A

Venice Beach vista
The short LA leg of this trip is more than halfway over but I already have many tales to tell. Since Mary and John picked me up from LAX early on Sunday afternoon, it has been non-stop fun and sensational people-watching experiences.

We went to Santa Monica on Sunday afternoon and cycled to Venice Beach and the Venice canals.

For those who have visited this area before, you will not be surprised that I took several photos, discreetly of course, of the strange sights. There was plenty of strange hair, strange outfits (the micro mini with the tall ugg boots was a little too popular), strange shops, etc

We also went to see a photographic exhibition close to the Santa Monica pier called 'Ashes to Snow' that was housed in a custom built museum made of shipping containers. The photos were all sepia and depicted humans and animals interacting. Strange but very interesting!

On
Exhibit BExhibit BExhibit B

Muscle Beach vista
the way home, we stopped at a local Mexican restaurant for a great meal and a massive margarita!

Today, Mary and I hit Hollywood Blvd. Whilst I always knew it would be tacky, I didn't quite expect to spend so much time laughing at the ridiculous nature of the place. However, Mary and I went on a walking tour and actually learned from interesting facts about the 'stars' on the blvd and what the prerequisites are for attaining one, for example the US$15,000 price tag.

Most importantly, I had Mary take a picture of me and the Hoff - well at least his star! From the amazed looks of the passers by, it seems that the Hoff phenomena did not really catch on in other parts of the world!

I also bought a new camera today, so the pics should only get better from here on in.

Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow I think we will be heading into downtown LA. I fly out very early Wednesday morning so the next update will be coming from Kentucky.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

HollywoodHollywood
Hollywood

The famous sign from afar on foggy LA day.
The HoffThe Hoff
The Hoff

It just had to be done!


2nd May 2006

Next Entry
Glad to here your having fun. Suggestion for next Entry... Hay from Kentucky
2nd May 2006

Hello Merryn, I am really loving your blog entries, and with the pictures and all it is even better. Already I am very envious. Keep having a ball and I look forward to more insight on your journey...... :)
2nd May 2006

The star
Yes i knew i had a star,still not keen on being a woman though !!!! Enjoy LA
3rd May 2006

GYM
Thought you would have taken a photo of a John Doe who was a few shades darker for me! Great to hear and see you from afar.
3rd May 2006

The Hoff pic
Oh so sad - did you actually think that there may be a very good reason why the "Hoff" thing did not catch on?? Great to keep up with your travels and look forward to seeing the rest as you move on. - Regards Dermot
4th May 2006

really pleased that you are having such a great time. just take heaps of photographs so that you can show us everything you have seen. (including the cute darkies!)

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb