Auckland to Los Angeles - Manhattan Beach


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As we were about to board our plane at Auckland a message came over the PA system for Pamela Russell to go to the desk. Much to our amazement we were classed as a 'Level 4 Security Risk' and ushered out of the departure lounge, through a rabbit warren of corridors into the bowels of airport security to the Reconciliation Room. The x-ray has picked up an object in our check in baggage that caused concern and we needed to open the bag. We were questioned in what had been packed in the bag and we couldn't think of anything that would warrant a level 4 security risk. We were shown the x-ray and it turned out to be the printer I was taken so I could do my work! This was packed in Mark's bag, so we had to cut the plastic wrap and remove the printer so it could be viewed and checked. We were then cleared, re-wrapped the bag and had to then return to the departure lounge where they were holding the plane for our return, yep, we were last on board!

After an uneventful 12 hour flight we arrived in Los Angeles. Clearing Immigration was a marathon! We had biometric fingerprint recognition as we came through immigration and as Mark had a VISA, he was whisked away to a secondary interview room while Bree and I collected our bags.

After dropping our bags at the transit carousel we headed out to find a bus to Santa Monica Beach. Talking with the airport help desk, we were advised to forget Santa Monica Beach as it was far to busty traffic wise to visit successfully in the time we had. We were told to catch the free shuttle to the Hilton and talk to the Concierge and buy tickets for the hop on - hop off bus to Manhattan Beach. The Concierge was brilliant. He stored some of our carry bags at no charge while we caught the bus to Manhattan Beach. The wind was bloody cold and we could see a large weather front approaching, but we walked the pier and took some photos.

We caught the 6:00 o'clock bus back to the Hilton, picked up our bags from the Concierge and caught the Hilton free shuttle back to LAX.

The security to leave LAX is unreal. We had to remove our shoes and Mark had to remove his belt before going through. My shoulder replacement set off the bells and whistles and I had to have an extra scan, but after seeing my scar all was okay. I have to say that LAX is a sh**t hole! It is tired and in need of some serious R & M.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th March 2011

adventures
Glad to see your on your way. Remember all these little hassles will add to the most memorable adventure ever. Stay safe and happy travels :)
5th March 2011

First stage
Hi everyone, well, what an eventful time just flying. I bet you were all exhausted. Great piccys, Pam. All good here. So looking foward to reading the next instalment and seeing all your photos. Take care and love always, Aunty Glenys
6th March 2011

Good to hear from you...
Hi Mark, Pam, and Bree... Good to hear from you from USA...sounds like you had a bit of stress getting out of the country and also into USA...don't think I would ever go that way because of all the security stuff you have to go through.. but just adds to the experience of it all I suppose. Neat photos !! (I've started a blog on here for our trip away, not that I will have my comp with me, but never know might find an internet cafe someplace in Tassie)..just have to work out how to invite people. Hope the rest of your trip went without incident, and you were not too tired on your arrival. All the best and keep the blogs coming... must be fun setting off those beepers Bionic Woman!! :-) cheers Dawn..
8th March 2011

watch that printer through all the airports you may have the same problem
8th March 2011

Oh dear - what an exit from NZ!! 'Level 4 Security Risk' Pleased you got that all sorted...

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb