Ants and Family


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Long Beach
October 26th 2009
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We need not remind ourselves that every day of RVing is an adventure. Some are more welcome adventures than others. That was so true driving up the mountain north of Redding, CA to visit friends we had met last year in Jasper NP. The exciting part was wondering if we would fall off the side of the mountain before we finally arrived. It was dark when we traveled back down, so having a professional driver (Terry) at the wheel made all the difference. Other "adventures" were dealing with mice, a bat, and more recently ants inside our home on wheels. Not for the weak of heart.

Shasta Lake, north of Redding, is a reservoir largely diverted to provide water to southern CA. We learned that this year it was 124 feet below normal! However when we visited SC lawns were being watered. Maybe they are omitting showers or laundry!

Our next adventure was driving south on I-5 to Soledad Canyon (where the ants invaded). Lots of wind and especially gusts and rain for hours. Enough complaining. We left the coach and drove to Long Beach to stay with our dear Aunt Janet who is a young 87 years old. We spent time with our cousins Phil and Linda and families and had a great time together! Cousins Linda and Fred drove from Palm Springs to be close. They stayed inthe Queen Mary so we got the tour. A British vessel (HMS=Her Magesty's Ship), it was built in the 1930's and is elegant in the same way as the Titanic, and one of the largest steam driven passenger ships in the world. It was used as a troop carrier in WW2.

We visited our nephew Harrison and family in Westlake Village and again had a great time. Being with family you love is so nurturing!

Back to the ants. We discovered them after we returned from LA. They were everywhere! The up side is we now have clean cupboards. But was it worth all that trouble?

On to Death Valley National Park, a remote, remote, remote and barren landscape that in places resembles the surface of the moon. The mountains, though barren, were lovely - convoluted shapes with beautiful colorings which changed with the sun. Some appeared to be covered with gold cloth. Since the area is huge and visitors limited (could it be in the name??) we enjoyed taking the motorcycle to see the sights. Scotty's Castle is intriguing. Prospector "Death Valley Scotty" claimed this elaborate Spanish-style mansion was built by gold from its fictitious name. In reality it was the 1920's vacation home of his wealthy friends who were from Chicago.

We visited Badwater, the lowest point in North America. The landscape of vast salt flats is surreal. Remember the TV show with Ronnie Reagan Death Valley Days sponsored by 20 Mule Team Borax? Well it looks just like how the series portrays.

We hiked the rim of Ebehebe Crater, again the result of a massive volcanic explosion over 300 years ago. It looks to be a mile across and is 600 feet deep. So impressive! We drove the car through "Artist's Drive." The road was cut right through the mountains and provided some great up close views. We camped in the desert on a paved lot where coyotes are often seen. We heard the story of a small dog being walked out in the surrounding desert who was taken away (for lunch) by one of those coyotes. Most of our fellow campers were readying for the "49ers Encampment." I guess they relive the gold rush every year. Sorry we could not stay.

We drove around 300 miles today and arrived at Zion National Park in Utah where we plan to hike tomorrow. Then on to Montrose, CO to visit long-time friends Marie and Richard. Then back to Michigan to see our Marine grandson, home on leave from Iraq. Two great reunions!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb