Stranded in Los Angeles...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » LAX
January 11th 2011
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Things not quite so rosy today and in every season a little rain must fall and all that... on way to airport in New Orleans Reubs mentioned a sore ear...during the flight this got steadily worse and by the time we landed he was in a bad way. Made our way to the Westin Los Angeles Airport where we thought he would settle down with some sleep...

2am this morning after checking all the options and with a very distraught little man ended up having a doctor coming in to the hotel. Anyway up shot is Reuben has a bad ear infection and we cannot travel. Fortunately, these call out doctors don't charge much...merely the GDP of most Pacific Nations combined...but you have to laugh and its handy cos as a medical practitioner he can help with removal of the kidney your having to sell.

Next fun part is filling a prescription at 2am in a city you have absolutely no idea about and even less desire to be in... the good doctor, and he is a good man, volunteered to drop me off at the nearest pharmacy...near is a very relative term, like Hamilton is near Auckland or the moon is near the earth...and did so along with his charming wife who was waiting for him in the car. Well the only lights on in the part of town we ended up were those from the Walgreen store so got dropped off, said our farewells promising to write and I went to sort out the prescription. Said good Doctor actually came and found me (reckon his wife made him) and said they would drop me back which they did. You'll be thinking ohhh, isn;t that nice....but if you had seen his first bill, plus mileage, you may think he actually had a degree of obligation... Oh and another funny part...the prescription - codeine solution and amoxycillin, not much change out of US$100... in fact the exact change, with no hyperbole was 2 pennies...$99.98 for bog standard meds... still saved on a cab fare to the pharmacy - although never would have found one and would have ended up walking all night.

While we are supposed to be currently awaiting boarding for our flight home...we are stuck in this hotel. Reuben has been a lot better today but still has regular pain and unable to work out what is going on. We are hoping for bigger improvement tomorrow when the antibiotics (gold plated) kick in properly.

Have been onto our travel insurance providers and they are becoming very helpful. Have managed to cancel tonights flights and we are now waitlisted on the next available flight, a mere 11 days away on 22 January...I kid you not and I am not smiling. Oh, they could do it a little sooner and would only require a slight top up of $14,000 to our fares and move us business class. Gotta laugh.

So in short, stuck in LA in a small room with an unwell 8 year old and a bored 6 year old, none of whom have slept properly for 48 hours, haemorraging cash like a femoral bleed and with no idea of how or when we can get out of here. What an adventure! That Arab who coined the phrase, "may your life always be interesting" ain't never been stranded in LA.

Tomorrow will sort itself out and we will get the boy 100% as first priority, then work out how long we are stuck and then come up with a plan...



Advertisement



12th January 2011

BUGGER
man tht is not good - poor Reuben - sorry to hear this - on the flip side Sandy Huntington Plaza Mall was impressive all those years ago so I am sure will be even better now!!!!! go and SHOP!!! - really hope you can get on a flight sooner and am sure you guys will be able to sort something out. Hope by the time you receive this message he is on the improve.
12th January 2011

Not the end you want for your trip - hope that Reuben is feeling much better soon (ear infections are no fun) and that you can get on an earlier flight to NZ. A story you'll hopefully look back on a laugh..........way after the fact??? Not at all funny now though. All the best and fingers crossed for a brief delay coming home. Wilma
12th January 2011

Poor Boy!
So sorry to hear about Reuben, I hope he will get better quickly! Niels and Sven send their best wishes! If you are stranded in LA for a few days you could always go to Annaheim for more 'Disney Magic'! ;-)
12th January 2011

Oh No
Hi guys, Really sorry to hear that Reubs is not well - tell him I said I hope he gets better soon - that is such a shame! Ear infections are horrid! Hope you manage to get home soon ... fingers crossed for you all! Try not to get too bored! Karen
12th January 2011

HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Sorry - meant to mention this earlier but happy wedding anniversary! 20 years is something to celebrate and hopefully you will have a great day! Karen
12th January 2011

Gold plated meds.. and all that!
Sorry about current situation - was good to speak to you a little earlier and hope Reuben will be getting better soonest. Let's know what we can do to assist from this end. Hugs to both the kids and hope you two are ok. We know you were wanting to get home Thursday but imperative R is well enough to travel Keep us posted - thinking of you all.
12th January 2011

Checked in again to see if there was any update from you guys. Hope Reuben feeling a lot better by now. Wilma
12th January 2011

Quick Update
Hi All - Reuben is better today after a good nights sleep only waking once for pain meds. He is still in some pain so we will not be flying for a few days yet. We have hired a car and are heading down to San Diageo for a few days until we sort out flights. At this stage we are booked on the 22nd but hoping that to get out soone!!
12th January 2011

Shopping
Hope Rueben is feeling better today!
12th January 2011

San Diego
Hope Reubs is feeling better today. Next to Legoland is Carlsbad outlet mall!! Could think of worse places to be stranded but a pain all the same. Take care.
13th January 2011

bother - but you could go shopping.
Phoned this morning - no reply - wrong time to call. Hope Reuben is feeling better - at least well enough to get out and about. You can always go to a shoppnig mall. Justine, Phillip & family are at the Marriott LA airport until friday- they have your contact numbers. Good luck for an earlier flight home. Congratulations on attaining 20 years marriage. Let as know if we can be of assisitance at this end. Love to all -
13th January 2011

and congrads
on 20 years of marriage - have a green top on today in honour of you!!! (bridesmaid and all)!!!!! hope you manage to get a nice gift out of your husband!!! speak soon
13th January 2011

Robin hoods merry men
I too wore green in honor of the bridesmaids!!

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb