End Of The Road


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wigwam MotelWigwam MotelWigwam Motel

The Wigwam Motels, also known as the "Wigwam Villages", is a motel chain in the United States built during the 1930s and 1940s. The rooms are built in the form of tepees, mistakenly referred to as wigwams.
Geo: 34.0983, -118.326

All good things must come to an end and so it was with our journey along Route 66. A road warrior purist might argue that we spent more time off of the legendary route than on it and don't qualify for the T-Shirt, but we did use it as beacon as we worked our way across America.

Our last stretch along the Mother Road in California allowed us to spend a night in one of the iconic Wigwam Motels. We had seen one of these earlier in Arizona but it was closed for the season. I'm not sure they pass the definition of Politically Correct anymore but how often do you get to stay in a motel that was built in the 1930s/1940s which mistakenly refers to the rooms as wigwams- they are actually in the shape of teepee (concrete not animal skins). This used to be a chain of 7 locations but apparently people don't want to sleep in a concrete teepee along the roadside anymore, and there's only three left. The site we were staying in had become very run down and rooms were being rented by the hour, aggravated by a sign advertising "Do it in a
Tonto Peeks Out Of Our TentTonto Peeks Out Of Our TentTonto Peeks Out Of Our Tent

This location would mark the final of 7 Wigwam Motels that were constructed.
tipi". Renovations now have the motel listed on the National Register of Historic Places (but the "do it' sign is still in the back just in case).

California hasn't done as much with Route 66 as many of the other states have but it does host the very end of the road which, for some reason, officially ends on the Santa Monica Pier (where cars can't go, so we had to take the photo without trusty Billy Thunder beside us).

Outside of Route 66 we weren't planning on visiting any of California's big cities (we'd seem them before and can you really call it a road trip if you're stuck in 24 hours of rush hour traffic) but we had time to kill so we found ourselves wandering the streets of Hollywood. True story- they offer tours to homes that Hollywood 'stars' used to live in- yikes!

I have little to no interest in the celebrity culture that seems to be a societal scourge these days, and DH is still trying to recover from the excitement of the Banana Museum, so we both drifted pretty quickly (not sure why I get jazzed about the hometown of Popeye but can't get remotely excited about a smoothie shop where 'stars' create drinks they name after themselves).

It was sad to see the end of our Route 66 adventure but we are heading for another of the big-hitter U.S. highways- The Ocean Road or Highway 1.


Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wigwam VillageWigwam Village
Wigwam Village

Two of the three surviving motels are located on historic U.S. Route 66.
Site Of The Very First McDonald'sSite Of The Very First McDonald's
Site Of The Very First McDonald's

Founded in the United States in 1940, the company began as a barbecue restaurant operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald. In 1948, they reorganized their business as a hamburger stand using production line principles.
The Evil GrimaceThe Evil Grimace
The Evil Grimace

A large, purple monster-like character who was first introduced in November 1971 as the "Evil Grimace". Many people believe Grimace is a taste bud, but McDonald's says he is "the embodiment of a milkshake."
HamburglarHamburglar
Hamburglar

Hamilton B. Urglar is a pint-sized burglar who first appeared in 1971 and was one of the first villains on the commercials. He was dressed in a black-and-white hooped shirt and pants, wore a red cape, a wide-brimmed hat, and red gloves and he originally had a burger head. His primary object of theft was hamburgers.
Ray Kroc Was A Shake SalesmanRay Kroc Was A Shake Salesman
Ray Kroc Was A Shake Salesman

Businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. He subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald brothers and oversaw its worldwide growth.
Early Days Of McDonald's Early Days Of McDonald's
Early Days Of McDonald's

Kroc was noted for aggressive business practices, compelling the McDonald brothers to leave the fast-food industry.
McDonald's McDonald's
McDonald's

The present version as a letter "M" did not appear until November 18, 1968, when the company applied for a U.S. trademark.


11th April 2016

who is who?LOL
11th April 2016

Miss Congeniality!
11th April 2016

It's been a fantastic journey Vic and Deb! Thanks for sharing all your photos and thoughts along the way. Look forward to hearing what's next for you both. Hugs and safe travels...
12th April 2016

The Wigwam Motel! It's all downhill from here!
12th April 2016

Freaky clown!
12th April 2016

Swimmin' pools...movie stars...
26th April 2016

at that price i might be able to fill md....

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb