Where have all the bears gone??


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Hollywood
September 14th 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

And here we are, safe and sound!!!

After so much planning, dreaming, farewells, tears, smiles, exchanges of emails, presents, cars, planes, etc., we have finally arrived to our first destination: The City of Angels, where everything is made of plastic and filled with silicone: from food and drinks, to boobs and bums, everything looks as it has been taken out of a Barbie world...

America: the Americans define it as the land of freedom and "the home of the brave" and I would change this last statement for "the land of the bold", after seeing how a lady took a furtive picture of Spiderman in Hollywood Boulevard, while he was making impossible postures on a lamp post, after what he got really angry and told her, while she was behaving like an ostrich, trying to hide her head in the ground and not making eye contact, that he was trying to make a living and she should ask before taking any pictures... that was an angry spider!!!; or, also, after seeing a street vendor in Venice Beach telling off a street singer who didn't give a shit and who was making his songs up as he was singing them on a microphone stand... without a microphone: from the bar where we were, we couldn't hear him, but the street vendor decided that his sales where low because of him and he didn't stop annoying him until, apparently, he lost his concentration and finally left. It has been a big surprise to me, so used to England as I am; there things like that are kept inside until they can't hold them any more and then is too late...

America wants to change and really become the Land of the Freedom: people are said to be "damn tired" of Bush and his bullshit policy and have great hopes that Obama will win and bring that change and his followers are everywhere: stickers on cars, flags and posters on windows... the only time I saw a reference to McCain was in a small village in the countryside where a shy sticker was sowed on a car window... where are the McCain supporters? are they making chips??... but, and there's always a but, they also fear that something similiar to what happened with Bush will take place here: nobody wanted him to win, but he did, and not only once, but twice so, for now, the Americans can only sit down and wait... time will tell.

We spent our days in L.A. in Hebrewhood,( a word that Kelly, our hostess made up to call her neighborhood, as is full of jewish shops), in an apartment built in the 30s and full of features like the ice box... now filled with plates and cups from Kelly's pottery class...

In this town there are so many things to see that it's difficult to know where to start, so we chose the easiest option: follow the tourists and so, we went to Hollywood Boulevard, where we walked on famous names and I made physical and paranormal contact with Marilyn Monroe when I put my hands where she had put them before in the 60s... a classic, same as walking up and down Venice Beach looking for Pamela Anderson and David Haselhof dressed like Baywatchers... we found them but, my camera run out of battery and we realized we left the charger in (we hope) Germany so you won't see any pictures of L.A. until we come back to Europe... Venice Beach is the place where muscly men exercise in open air gyms
oil  /  petroleooil  /  petroleooil / petroleo

working hard / trabajando duro
and follow with their ayes the Barbie like type of women who walk in their bikinis... I'm surprised there aren't more accidents...

But enough is enough and the heat and abundance of cars and people made us flee, after only 3 days, to the North, to the Sequoia National Forrest, to hug trees and dance with bears...

As soon as you leave L.A., the desert slaps you on the face and you realize why your sweat evaporates so quickly... is damn dry!!!... driving through vast plains covered in golden dry grass makes you wonder why the first men and women chose these spots to stay... I know there was gold once there, but there are people who still chose the desert as their home... why??

Suddenly, cacti get together in little forrest and quickly they turn into trees to finally get to the National Forrest, a relieve for both your body and the car's air conditioning system... there we tried our camping gear for the first time and, I can just say it was great: we spent our first night camped next to a mighty centenary tree, while a part of me was looking forward to see
me / yome / yome / yo

my first hamburger ? mi primera hamburguesa
the bears, another was looking forward not so see them... the second one was the winner... despite all the advise on what to do if you spot a bear, we didn't see a single one... in fact all the wildlife we saw was (many) squirrels and two deers we nearly ran on to... but we saw many, many trees... and pictures don't make any justice at just how big these giants are... you feel their age and mightiness when you are around them, but also their fragility when you see how easy it is to destroy a forrest like that... that God for the green people who decided to give them a chance...

The best part of the camping trip was, not only to be able to see the stars at night, including the Milky Way, but to go to bed when the sun comes down and get up with the sun again; wake up to the sound of a woodpecker bird or the hauling of the coyotes...




Donde han ido los osos??




Aqui estamos, sanos y salvos!!!

Despues de mucho planear, sonhar, despedidas, lagrimas, sonrisas, intercambio de emails, regalos, coches, aviones, etc., hemos llegado, por fin, a nuestro primer destino: La Ciudad de Los Angeles, donde todo esta hecho de plastico y relleno de silicona: desde la comida y la bebida, hasta las tetas y los culos, todo parece sacado del mundo de la Barbie...

America: los americanos la definen como la tierra de la libertad y "the home of the brave", o sea, el hogar de los valientes, y yo cambiaria esta ultima parte por el "hogar de los descarados", despues de haber visto como una mujer le sacaba una foto de "estrangis" a Spiderman en Holywood Boulevard, mientras este realizaba posturas imposibles subido a un poste de la luz, tras lo cual el se embarco en una discusion con la susodicha mujer la cual, en plan avestuz en peligro, simplemente se dedico a no hacer contacto visual como si la cosa no fuera con ella, mientras la aranha, muy enfadada y llena de razon le decia que el vivia de las fotos que le sacaban y que la proxima vez, le pidiera permiso; o despues de ver como un vendedor ambulante en Venice Beach le echaba la bronca a un cantautor un tanto pasota que se inventaba las
giant  /  gigantegiant  /  gigantegiant / gigante

can you see Dax?? / veis a Dax??
canciones sobre la marcha mientras berreaba acercandose a un pie de microfono... sin microfono: desde el bar donde estabamos apenas lo oiamos pero el vendedor que estaba a su lado, decidio que sus ventas se estaban viendo afectadas por la cacofonia emitida por el bendito cantante y no paro de darle la brasa hasta que el otro perdio la concentracion y se largo. Toda una sorpresa para mi, tan acostumbrada como estoy a la discrecion de los ingleses, los cuales, cuando les molesta algo, no te lo dicen a ti directamente, sino que te clavan la punhalada por la espalda yendo a hablar con alguno de tus "superiores", bien sea tu jefe o tu casero, para que sean ellos quienes te echen la bronca de parte de un "anonimo protestante".

America quiere cambiar y quiere tener aun mas libertad: la gente dice estar harta de Bush y su politica de mierda y hay esperanzas de que Obama gane (desde luego, sus seguidores se dejan ver: pegatinas en los coches, banderas en las ventanas, posters..., mientras que la unica referencia de McCain que vi fue una timida pegatina asomando en la ventanilla de una furgoneta en un pueblo a medio
giant 2  /  gigante 2giant 2  /  gigante 2giant 2 / gigante 2

and me?? / y yo??
camino entre las montanhas y el desierto) y haya un gran cambio a mejor; sin embargo sigue existiendo la preocupacion de que pase como con Bush: nadie queria que ganase, pero gano, y no una vez, sino dos; por ahora lo unico que pueden hacer los americanos es esperar... el tiempo dira lo que tenga que decir...

Pasamos nuestros dias an L.A. en Hebrewhood, mas o menos Hebrecindario, q es una palabra que nuestra anfitriona Kelly se invento para definir su vecindario por la cantidad de tiendas judias que hay... todos los que viven en L.A. parecen saber a que se refiere..., quedandonos en un apartamento construido en los anhos 30 y lleno de personalidad y caracteristicas, incluso tiene una "caja fria", que es el abuelo de las neveras, donde ponian bloques de hielo para mantener fria la comida... ahora esta lleno de las tazas y platos que Kelly hace en su clase de ceramica.

En esta ciudad hay tanto que hacer que es dificil decidir por donde empezar, asi que hicimos lo mas facil: seguir a las hordas de turistas, que nos llevaron a Hollywood Boulevard, donde caminamos sobre estrellas del cine, la television y la musica y donde entre en contacto fisico y paranormal con Marilyn Monroe al, como no, poner mis manos donde ella las habia puesto antes, alla por los anhos 60... todo un clasico, al igual que el darse una vuelta por Venice Beach, en busca de Pamela Anderson y David Haselhof vestidos de Vigilantes de la playa, los encontramos apoyados en un todoterreno amarillo y sujetos a un salvavidas pero como mi camara se quedo sin bateria y nos dejamos el cargador en (esperemos) Alemania, no vais a ver ninguna foto de L.A. hasta que volvamos a Europa... Venice Beach es el lugar donde se cultiva el cuerpo, donde hombres musculosos y (seguramente) descerebrados hacen deporte en gimnasios al aire libre al pie de playa mientras siguen con la mirada a las Barbies que se pasean en bikinis y patines por las explanadas... me sorprende que mirandose tanto unos a otros no haya mas accidentes...

Pero cuando algo es suficiente, es suficiente y, el calor y la abundancia de coches y gente hicieron que, tras 3 dias, nos escapasemos al norte, al Parque Nacinoal de las Sequoias, a abrazar arboles gigantes y bailar con osos.

Nada mas salir de L.A., te das te bruces con el desierto y te das cuenta de porque no sudas o, mas bien, de porque el sudor se evapora tan rapidamente que ni lo ves... tan seco es el clima aqui... el conducir durante kilometros y kilometros de llanuras cubiertas de nada excepto hierba tan seca que parece un oso de peluche, amarilla y suave, te hace preguntarte que es lo que los habitantes de estos paisajes desoladores vieron en ellos para decidirse a quedarse aqui: se que las primeras ciudades se construyeron donde habia oro, pero tambien se que ahora los motivos son diferentes y, al recorrer esos desiertos no podia para de repetirme esa pregunta:"por que aqui?".

Pero, de repente, los cactus se convierten en bosques e igual de rapido, en arboles y asi se llega al Bosque Nacional de las Sequoias, donde pusimos a prueba todo nuestro equipo de acampada y pasamos la noche junto a uno de esos gigantes centenarios; mientras una parte de mi queria que apareciera un oso, pero otra decia que no... al final, gano la segunda ya que, a pesar de todos los consejos sobre que hacer y que no hacer si te encuentras con ellos, no vimos ninguno y la vida salvaje que vimos estuvo reducida a (muchas) ardillas y un par de ciervos que casi hacen que nos estrellemos al intentar evitarlos en la carretera... es casi como ver una pelota de futbol en la calle: sabes que detras viene un ninho, pues al ver un ciervo sabes que detras viene otro: FRENA!!

Nada te prepara para la grandiosidad de estos arboles y las fotos no les hacen justicia: son enormes y, al tocarles, sientes la energia y el poderio que emanan pero tambien la fragilidad y te das cuenta de que, a pesar de ser gigantes, son muy faciles de destruir, por eso hemos de agradecer a los hombres y mujeres verdes que hacen un gran esfuerzo para conservar estas maravillas para que nosotros y las futuras generaciones podamos disfrutarlas...

Lo mejor del viaje fue el acostarse con el sol y levantarse con el otra vez, sin alarmas ni despertadores, solo el sonido de los pajaros carpinteros y el aullido de los coyotes...








Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

General ShermanGeneral Sherman
General Sherman

the biggest tree on Earth / el arbol mas grande del planeta
branch  /  ramabranch  /  rama
branch / rama

this is a branch of General Sherman (you can see him on the back) / esto era una rama del General Sherman (lo puedes ver a el detras de mi)
Fallen Monarch  /  Monarca caidoFallen Monarch  /  Monarca caido
Fallen Monarch / Monarca caido

I'm inside the tree / estoy dentro del arbol
desert  /  desiertodesert  /  desierto
desert / desierto

we drove for hours on endless straight roads / condujimos durante horas en carreteras rectas sin fin


22nd September 2008

Lucky us
Welcome to America, I am glad you are here. You see how lucky we are to have real life Barbies AND cacti and giant redwoods! By the way, I have heard some of those people like living in the desert! Go figure. We do still have bears, or so I have heard ... Come to Florda for all the McCain signs you will ever want to see and you will wonder where the Obama signs are.
23rd September 2008

Primera parada L.A.
Hey Guys, So nice to see you. Then, you are well on your way now. Can you believe it now, Deni? And you are not using your bikes yet. Deni, make the most of it!!! He he he. Amazing things Sequoias. Dax, imagine you could build a Wooden Frame house with just one tree. Take care guys. Loves
23rd September 2008

Abrazos chicos
The pictures are amazing guys!! Please, enjoy for us and dont eat a lot of burgers, but mainly have fun!!!. Really nice your blog, so please keep us updated with your fantastic trip.
23rd September 2008

Saludos desde Madrid
Hello guys ,you both dont know how much envy i do have already ,L.A. i love the city ,one of my dreams is have the chance to be there once in my life and you did already ,that is looks great ,please i hope that you have had a great time over there ,Enjoy pareja and i am looking forward for the next post or email from you. Take care and a big kiss .
5th October 2008

hola soy rakel!!!
KE TAL???KE GUAY DESCUBRIENDO MUNDO Y KOMO NO MI L.A KERIDO,ME TRAE TANTOS RECUERDOS PERO SABES KE? KE TU PRIMERA HAMBURGUESA FUE EN EL MEJOR SITIO ANDE TE LA PODIAS COMER AHI A MI ME ENCANTABAN YA QUE ES EL SITIO MAS HEALTHY AL LADO HAY UN HOLLYDAY INN AHI ES DONDE ME HOSPEDE POR 1 AÑO KE GUAAAYYY ES QUE ME TRAE DEMASIAOS RECUERDOS BONITOS JOOOO!!! KE NATURALEZA TAN BONITA Y ENOOOORMEEEE ES QUE EN ESE CONTINENTE ES TOOO SO HUGE VERDAD????TIA TENEIS UNA CARA DE ESTRESAOS LOS DOS KE BUENO NO ME LO CREO KE GUAY,TIA DISFRUTAD AL MAXIMO,(YA SE KE LO HAREIS)PERO CARPE DIEM GUAPOOSS!!YA HORA ANDE VAYS,ME IMAGINO KE A CASROS YA NO???BUENO AKI ESTAMOS A LAS ESPERA DE FOTIKIS Y COMMENTS,JI,JI!!MOLTS PETONETS XICOTETS,AGUR!!!
22nd April 2009

Bears and more bears....
Hi! I live in Southern California. There are Lots of bears in Yosemite Natl Park. Trust me you don't want to see them.=> Enjoy your travels! =>

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb