Hello Hollywood


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 34.0729, -118.4

Goodbye Norwegian Star Cruise Ship. Hello Hollywood, California! We were actually more than happy to say goodbye to our cruise ship of the last 26 nights. Simply put, it was way inferior to Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise lines, and just got really boring and repetitive. Disembarking was as predicted, painfully inefficient, just like in Miami. Its likely a combination of the haphazard policy of Norwegian and painful inefficiency of US Customs.
Finally, we were off after about an hour and a half in queue. Heres where todays challenge started. We had no idea really how to get from the port in San Pedro, some 30 miles or an hour north to the fringes of Hollywood. Public transport is always my preference, but theres no such option at the port itself. So I decided a cab to the nearest metro station would be the best bet. It took around 15 minutes and $20 to get to Long Beach. We were dropped at the corner of 1st and Pine to catch a connecting tram northbound. The tram connected with train, and finished with a walk to the hotel, costing just $6 each.
At first glimpse, Hollywood wasn't really what I had expected. The walk from the metro to the hotel was kind of grubby. Poverty, run down businesses, markets selling out of date or poor quality garbage, spaced out dry dusty streets with no highrise.
On arrival at the hotel we queried the possibility of a local tour, and had an instant decision to make. Yes, theres a four hour guided tour of Beverley Hills, Stars Homes, Hollywood Star Walk and Rodeo Drive. Its $69 each and leaves in 4 seconds. Well not quite, but about half an hour. We just decided to go ahead and do it. We dumped our stuff in the room and returned to meet our guide and jump on a minibus. We started with a drive to a lookout and view of the Hollywood sign, and from there on to the Hollywood walk, the Chinese Theatre and Madame Tausads, where we could see the names, hand and footprints of so many big Hollywood Stars. I'm not sure how or why Big Bird deserves one.
Next, a tour of Hollywood finishing up over in Beverley Hills. We spent a while touring the homes of the rich and famous, or at least their front gates. From here, it got a bit boring. Rodeo drive, fancy shops, no sign of celebrities, downtown LA and heaps of traffic. When we finished up of course a 15% tip was expected. Ouch.
On the tour we met a couple of nice people from Melbourne; Brent and Emily. We finished up having dinner together at a nearby Wendys, decent enough for fast food. Were tossing up what to do tomorrow. Disneyland opens and closes early on a Monday, and its a couple hours away. Plus, its the only day rain is forecast. Perhaps the zoo might be a better option.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb