Lassen Volcanic National Park, California to Reno, Nevada


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mt. Lassen from the FrontMt. Lassen from the FrontMt. Lassen from the Front

This was the volcano that blew its top like Mt. St. Helen's.
Lassen NP is at a high altitude and is one of the coldest places in CA. It was sunny and 36 degrees this morning. The Visitor’s Center is only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday during this time of the season. We were happy it was Friday! We got an interpretive guide and started our tour through the park.
Lassen Volcano erupted in 1914 and had outbursts over the next 7 years. It acted similar to Mt. St. Helen’s. As we drove through the park snow was more evident and got deeper as we climbed in elevation. We understood why the park was open on a limited basis. There was more snow here than off Tioga Rd. in Yosemite. We couldn’t see most of the geothermal features ( boiling mudpots, hot springs and gysers) because the trails were closed due to snow;.even the lakes were snow covered. We just enjoyed the drive and the snowy scenery.
We left Lassen behind and drove toward Nevada. The road traveled on a straight high plateau surrounded by mountains; prime ranchland and high desert scenery.
We stopped at Reno for the night. Our serious homebound driving starts tomorrow. This may be the last blog entry for
View from the High ElevationView from the High ElevationView from the High Elevation

The road climbed over 8000 feet.
awhile.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sulfur VentSulfur Vent
Sulfur Vent

This geothermal feature was right off the highway.


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb