First Day in Lake Tahoe


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Lake Tahoe
April 24th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At the Nevada-California BorderAt the Nevada-California BorderAt the Nevada-California Border

Lake Tahoe is split down the middle between California and Nevada. The Cities of Lake Tahoe, Nevada and South Lake Tahoe, California echo this territorial divide.
We spend the first day of the weekend exploring the Lake Tahoe area. April is the end of ski season; Heavenly closed the weekend before we arrived, but the ski resorts north of the lake were still open.

We stayed at a resort just south of the Nevada-California border, in South Lake Tahoe. Our first full day, we decided to take a drive around the south portion of the lake. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate: It was raining and overcast, which turned into snow. By the time we got to the south west side of the lake to see Emerald Bay, the mountain roads were treacherous and visibility was almost zero.

After stopping at the overlook, we decided to keep going, hoping to get out of the weather. Big mistake. On the twisty, snow covered road, the rental car skidded on the steep incline, and we incurred a minor scrape against the guard rail. While not a big deal, with terrible visibility, we decided winter mountain driving wasn't for us, and we called it a day and headed back to town to check out the shopping and take in a movie instead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Marriott Lodge at South Lake TahoeMarriott Lodge at South Lake Tahoe
Marriott Lodge at South Lake Tahoe

We stayed at this resort, which is situated perfectly at the base of Heavenly Ski Resort in South Lake Tahoe.
Heavenly Ski LifeHeavenly Ski Life
Heavenly Ski Life

The main Heavenly ski lift from the base near the resort village.
Me, in the snow stormMe, in the snow storm
Me, in the snow storm

At a scenic overlook where you are supposed to see the lake. Visibility was zero and so all you could see was the fresh snow in the forest.
Almost Frozen StreamAlmost Frozen Stream
Almost Frozen Stream

Beautiful fresh snow at one of the Lake Tahoe outlook points on the west side of the lake.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb