Railtown 1896!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Jamestown
April 2nd 2022
Published: April 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We had been eyeing Railtown 1896 State Park in Jamestown for Y’s 3rd birthday. We visit the train ride in the nearby park weekly and he continues to show strong interested in how the train runs so V & I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate!

Jamestown is in the middle of nowhere at the foot of the Sierras. It’s not quite Sacramento or Modesto. For sure I’d never heard of it. But Railtown 1896 is one of the few train station that’s kept functioning from its original existence 125 years ago! We picked the first weekend of April for our own reason but it happened to be their opening weekend for the 2022 season.

Despite packing for the overnight trip in the morning, we managed to hit the road at 8:15 am. After about 2 hours of being strapped in the car seat, the soon-to-be-three-year-old looked a little tired. We stopped by a park in Oakdale to stretch our legs. It turned out to be a pretty cool park with a large network of wooden structure. After potty and snack, I though Y’d want to check it out for sure. But he was laser focused on the train. He said he’d rather not play and get in the car so he can get there sooner, ha!

Y looked like he was reaching his limit but the stakes are high, anticipation is sky high! We finally reached the Railtown at 11 am. I was surprised to see it so busy! Parking lot was pretty much full. Where are they all from?? We squeezed in a space in the far end. Right next to the parking lot was already the railroad. On it was a red caboose with its door open. We haven’t even got to the ticket booth but you can climb on it. Super cool! Y was ecstatic ? He could have left the park happy at that moment but things hadn’t even begun yet. There was also a mini-3-car hay ride running. But even that was nothing but a distraction for him at that point. I told him to let’s get the tickets to ride the big choo choo and he finally left the caboose.

The ticket office was at the station along with a store, a little museum, and the restroom. I asked for the train tickets and we were automatically given the tickets for the 12 pm departure. It also came with the colored wristband. We went to check out the boarding location and saw that a short line was already forming at 11:15 am ? Get in line! The boarding will begin at around 11:45. It was getting hot but 30 min wait is nothing for Y when it comes to choo choo. At boarding, I realized that people were getting sent to predetermined car. I was talking to Y about getting to the front as close as possible to the steam engine but our ticket directed us to car 597, which is the last of the 3 large passenger cars. Still, Y got the first pick of the table/seat. It turned out to be the nicest car because it was the most open and the tables had cute flower centerpieces. After everyone got onboard, choo choo backed up slowly for 3 miles / 25min, all the while a lady gave us the tour. Poor lady had to yell over choo choo and her mask. She and I chatted a little and she even though the steam engine was going to run tomorrow. Read on. Choo choo kicked up a gear on the way back and we got a glimpse of the smoke. This was really the only time I felt it’s presence just because it’s a big train unlike those kiddy rides in the park. The band who was jamming at the boarding area also came around to play at each car. Surprisingly, the 6-mile journey actually took 45 minutes. After getting off the train, we walked up to the steam engine. It is huge and loud in person, glaring in black. Pretty awe-inspiring. A guy in overall was putting oil like the old days (I imagine).

It was 12:45 pm - way past lunch time! We ate in the large picnic area behind the roundhouse. Visiting the roundhouse was another awe-inspiring experience. I’d only seen sheds for the miniature trains so far. This one housed 8(?) trains, complete with a large motorized turntable. Amazing, especially to think that this was in use 100 years ago. There are so much to see in that area, including more railroads and piles and piles of junk pieces. I recently learned that the trail wheels are slightly conical toward the outside to prevent derailing. I didn’t know that it wasn’t clamping on the rail but riding on it. I could see that on 100s of wheels that were laying around there. It must’ve been like a paradise for Y. His hands were black from grabbing random gigantic nails and what not.

Y decided he wanted to go on the hay ride now. It ran on the same railroad as the steam engine up to the water tower and back while the big train goes out for 45min. The big one had just returned at 2:15 pm and the hay ride was parked near the entrance. It wasn’t going to leave until the big one left at 3 pm but Y was set on getting on. Nobody was on it to sit under the sun for 45 min but Y sometimes just knows something. Who would’ve thought that this was going to be its last run of the day…and of the year! The water tower is literally 100 yards away and it should be able to make at least a few trips before the big one comes back but what do I know? It filled up and had we come back at 3 pm, we would’ve missed the ride until the opening day in April 2023!

After the hay ride, we went back to the turntable. Train started to return to the shed shortly after. The diesel was up first to push #34. This sight was already amazing but this was just the beginning. The next up was the hay ride. As small as it was, it was a work to push the passenger cars into one shed, then the engine to another. The next one up was the big boy #28. Passenger cars stayed outside and the steam engine got into the shed on its own. Pretty crazy and impressive sight to see the original turntable at work. The last thing was the diesel pushing the car that was used to host exhibition. This car was also one of the originals there.

It was an amazing day. We were so looking forward to the next day…uhh yea, about that. Anyway, it was time to check in to our home for the night. I had booked an RV in town, literally just around a few corners. It was tucked away and a little pathway led to the host’s house. The tricky part was that there was another RV at the house right before the path. We automatically thought that was our lodging but knew it wasn’t what we signed up for. It was parked on the road and didn’t seem welcoming at all. After circling around it, a lady came out saying “can I help you?”. Gotta be careful. We could’ve been shot these days. The real RV was very secluded and welcoming. Inside was very modern, phew! After touching bases with the owner, we went for a grocery run, dinner, bath, and turn in. Bam bam. It was a hot and draining day.

Good morning roosters! We saw the sun slowly make its way up and got up at 6 am. After breakfast, Y and I scoped out the big yard. We gathered our stuff that we barely brought in yesterday. It was time to return to the Railtown. We arrived early at 9 am. The park wasn’t going to open for another 30min. The staff was rolling in and nobody seemed to mind us walking right in. We went as deep as the roundhouse and we got nothing but welcoming greetings. We were hoping to catch the trains come out. We waited, waited, and waited… Finally, one of the doors opened at 9:20 am. Ok here we go! So we thought. Nothing. The park supposedly opened already but no action whatsoever. At 9:45 am, another door opened. This time was for #3. Are we finally starting? Get in position Y! Nothing. Shortly after 10 am, the diesel train moved and headed toward the station.

Welp, Y was hungry already so we busted out our lunch in the junkyard. At 11 am, all the doors opened at the roundhouse with all the trains intact. Weird. We went back toward the station. On the way, we exchanged a few words with the fellow visitors and found out that the train ride was being pulled by the diesel train. The crowd was super spotty compared to yesterday. No band, no hay ride, and closed caboose. What is going on?? According to the ranger, this is the typical crowd size. Yesterday was extra crowded and extra festive for being the opening day…ah ha! We set the bar way high dropping by on their most festive opening day! We hit the road back home at 11:45 am. Y enjoyed the 50-ft slide at Mission Hills Park on the way back ? Jamestown’s Railtown was enjoyable for a train-obsessed tot as well as the adults. I’m learning so much about trains and it is fascinating, especially the old school steam engines!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb