Abundance


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

August 29, 2009
For miles the California beach stretches out, supplying an abundance of exquisite beach stones that boggles the mind. Luckily, for collectors of such treasures, as we are, they are small so lots will fit into a small container taking up minimal, yet valuable real estate in Ruby Grace. We while away hours searching the never-ending array of variety as we walk along. One by one we pick up a stone, assess it and slip in into a pocket or release it back into the wild. We just look for pretty ones, or perhaps heart-shaped ones or ones to replace the cumbersome marbles that came with our Mancala Game. We look around to see other people busy collecting stones too, each with their own search-image beaming from their eyes. Some look for agates, some for jade, and on and on. One woman is on hands and knees, sweeping her hand over the stones of a single location for an hour or so. A man slumps over as he moves slowly along, staring intently downward and scratches the beach surface with stick in hand. A man and woman search, each with a golf club to shuffle the stones. After a while of walking and picking we lie down on our bellies, reaching, combing and sorting the warm round stones within our reach. There is an endless supply of these treasures, endless, or so it seems. Plenty for all. Each area of the long beach as good as another. Plenty today. Plenty tomorrow. What if all resources were like that? Would we all live in peace?

melisse



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th September 2009

Very beautiful. We are jealous in Philly as we prepare for another school year. I am also healing from the removal of wisdom teeth (including one that was sideways). Its been awesome. How are yall doing?
7th September 2009

Mementos
Don't forget that one day you may feel obligated to return these tokens to their spirit place for your own completeness. A shaman said so...not me! I love those perfect/imperfect stones and the search/discovery of them. Maybe I should go do that today. Lovin' your trip...xoxo debby
9th September 2009

Andyish
Kind of reminds me of the Andy Goldsworthy(sp) art and movie, Rivers and Stones! Makes me wonder what I am doing in Missouri?
14th September 2009

rock art!
These photos are particularly gorgeous! And thank you for the entries -- I've been catching up and am even more filled with resolve to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for sharing time with us tonight -- and check back with us when you are coming through town again!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb