The Night without Dark


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Gustine
September 2nd 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well I am writing this first entry on the first morning of our Santa Fe trip and will title it “The Night without Dark ”, but more about that later. Yes first thing first and the first thing to discuss is why we are camped at San Luis Creek Recreation Area in the first place. I can say it was not planned or even considered because we, Emily and myself, left the evening of the day before the trip was to begin and of course there is a story worth telling involved. So let me begin on Monday morning - 8/23.

I arrived at Harmony Hill Farm (Emily's farm) about 11 AM to begin the process of loading the trailer, checking out the batteries (had been a problem area from the shakedown camp outings), hooking up the trailer (19 ft Lite) to the so far trusty Tundra, and last but not least helping Emily pack. However this was a series of surprises. The batteries were charged to at least 80%, connecting to the trailer was a snap (experience breeds quickness, and finally Emily was all packed with only a box and cooler for food needing to be carried to the trailer. I guess I mis-underestimated the motivation of the two week plus a few day trip/vacation can have on a farm person who gets little time away from the farming business. So we were locked and loaded a little after 1 PM driving down Grinding Rock Road to Bridgeport School Road to Mount Aukum, CA.

Our first stop was the post office to pick up her mail and then on to the Mt Aukum tire shop, auto repair, general store, service station, hay and feed, and the city hall and police department to fill the propane tanks. BTW - Kidding about city hall and police department because there isn't one, nor is there a city center or a strip mall or more than one eatery, or a main street. Mt Aukum is a throwback to an earlier time when people farmed the land, or raised cattle or sheep and only needed to have a few basics immediately available. They drove to bigger towns/cities in the area once or twice a week with planned stops and purchases.

We left Mt Aukum and drove the 30 miles to Rancho Murieta (RM) to load up Dennis' stuff. However Emily realized she had only eaten a piece of toast and I could even hear her tummy growling over the highway noise. A stop at Pokerville Market in Plymouth was taken where Emily loaded up with food and a snack or 2.


A quick aside for a news break - I am currently witnessing a brilliant golden sunrise through the trailer window - unbelievable. Normally I would out taking photos, but I need to get this written before it starts to fade from the geezers memory.

Back to yesterday and our drive to RM which proved to be uneventful except for the 2 logging trucks filling the mirrors of a less then secure trailer driver.

Pulled in front of the house and with pride and showed Emily my garage staging area for loading the trailer - BTW she was not that impressed. It was at this time a new idea which I am sure was brewing for days was presented. I am not able to quote exactly what was said, but here is the encapsulated dialogue:

Emily: I don't relish the idea of driving 12 hours tomorrow

Dennis: It is about 8 hours to Barstow (first stop) by car, but will probably be 10-12 hours pulling a trailer

Emily: That will be a really long day, so why don't we leave now

Dennis: Well we could (notice the wimpy response)

Emily: Let's pack up your stuff and head out

Dennis: OK let's load and go

So here I am deviating from a plan I meticulously developed over the months, shot down by my old nemesis reason and logic. Yes she was right (although this use to pain me to say, I have found this happens a lot because our birthdays are a day apart and our thinking is about the same distance).

So we loaded up the truck and the trailer, checked off items on my lists and after a shower were ready to hit the road at about 4:30. Out through the RM gates ready to face the commuter traffic from Sacramento, the narrow 2 lane Dillard Road, on to CA 99 raceway, and finally crossing over to I-5 at Stockton. Yes we are finally on our vacation trip.

Pulling the trailer had a direct impact on gas mileage and we needed to take a gas stop at Santa Nella. While I pumped and cleaned the windshield, Emily dug out her camping book to look for a campsite for the night. There are 3 campgrounds at the San Luis Recreation Area and we chose San Luis Creek. The drive took about 15 minutes and was several miles off the highway The campground was fairly deserted and we had our choice of spots. After getting situated about 8:30 (sun had been down for 45 minutes), the campground was well bath in light by a rising full moon. It was magnificent and after a short walk, we saw the moons reflection in the forebay.

We then spent about 20 minutes in our camp chairs basked in the silvery glow of the moon. Finally to bed with the blinds open and the moonlight filtering in. I awoke about 4:30 and it was still bright outside, but a new source appeared on the eastern horizon. As the moon set in the west, the sun rose in the east and ended “The Night without Dark”

Emily did not edit so it is all on me. Also NO photos.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb