Brookings - Eureka Total cycled = 761 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Eureka
September 15th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Brookings - Orick = 75 miles.

Todays ride (Tuesday 14th September 2010) took us from the Oregon/Californian border through the Redwoods to a town called Orick. The ride over the Crescent City Hills was scary. One lane, logging trucks and r.v's don't mix well. One r.v. narrowly missed me. I heard screaching of brakes coming up behind me and I gritted my teeth!

David got a flatty on the worst stretch of road. A piece of stanley blade was embedded in his tyre. What else could go wrong?

Once again the best part of the ride was the last 10 miles. The Redwoods really are amazing. HUGE! We also passed a group of elk grazing in a field on the side of the road. Group of elk? Herd of elk? Squad of elk? One for the quiz maybe?

Go back to the earlier question.. "What else could go wrong"? Stayed in an AWFUL hotel in Orick. The book described the town as "a few restaurants, motels and tourist shops" so we cycled past the campsite and decided to stay in a motel. We wish we hadn't. We nearly died when we seen the town and realised that the next stop was another 18 miles away. All it needed was the tumbleweed to blow down the street and the scene was set. We'd already cycled 75 miles and couldn't have possibly done any more. We had no choice but to take a room from the Kathy Bates look alike on reception. Misery it certainly was!

For the first time on the trip the thought of our tent and sleeping bags seemed like luxury... I eventually drifted in and out of sleep thinking about that little boutique hotel I've been dreaming of for the past few weeks...

After an awful nights sleep we had breakfast at the Palm Cafe where the server informed us he was the biggest fan of our Royal family.

He'd followed them since Princess Diana got married and had every trinket, flag and memrobilia you could imagine. He then asked the dreaded question..... "Have you had tea with the Queen"!.... We said our goodbyes and headed off early (7.30am)...

Orick - Eureka = 40 miles.

Easy ride today. Stopped off in Trinidad and had a fabulous Pecan and Cranberry scone and a piece of Coffee Cake. Mmmmh, mmmhhh... Organic and homemade - delicious!

Quite a non descript day apart from a couple of glimpses of the ocean. Staying at a KOA campsite just outside Eureka and having an early night as we're planning on cycling around 80 miles tomorrow through the Avenue of the Giants. We'll see how it goes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement









19th September 2010

Ha..ha.. Just sitting at the KOA campsite in Manchester Beach having a couple of locals brews.. (beer, not coffee). Loads of local micro breweries to try, there's not enough hours in the day to fit everything in. Happy anniversary to you both. We can't believe it's 6 years!!! How time flies. xx

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb