Leaving Las Vegas, Death Valley and arriving Mammoth Mountain


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We started the day by me catching a taxi to Wynn casino where I had to pick up the Hertz rental car, while Tanya and the kids had breakfast. Got back and packed the car, said goodbye to our new found friends Marc and Geraldine from Sydney and were on the road by 915(a tiny bit later than planned)

Navigated out of town with a few near-misses of getting onto The wrong off ramp, but got the hang pretty quickly.

Cruised through the pretty desolate but scenic landscape and hit the Death Valley National park after about 2 hours. We were amongst a lot of traffic who seemed to have all come on a day trip from Vegas, as most of them didn't seem to continue on once we started hitting more of the sites and no one seemed to go past Furnace Creek.

We firststopped at Zabriske Point, the onto Furnace Creek and then finally lunched at the saloon at Stovepipe Wells.

Tracking west out of the Valley, we encountered a pretty tight, winding road or goat track around the rim of the mountains around the Valley. I imagine that Top Gear would love to do a show hooning around these roads!

From here we decided we would not bee stopping anymore as we had a 6 hours drivinfloor the day and had used u 2 hours sightseeing andi wanted to arrive at Mammoth in the daylight. We made good time, but not as good as the people who went past us doing 10-20 mph faster than the speed limit. Strange, because at one stage we saw a highway patrol car parked on the side of the road, and itdidn't pull out to stop any of them!

We made good time but still got to Mammoth at about 530 and the light wasgloomy enough that we didn't see the turn into our accommodation so went a couple of miles past. Eventually arrived and checkEd in by about 630. Then we headed into town and spentof coupleof goes trying to find the grocery store, "Vons", we had beened directed to. It was enormous, and packed with people.

Home and cooked pasta for dinner and then all started crashing by about 930 and forgot all about the ice cream we had brought for desert.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



11th January 2013
DSCF2415.JPG

Looks like your front garden!
We thought this photo was of your front garden...:)

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb