Death Valley


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With Ben in Diego with Debbie, me and the aussies headed off to the ominously soundin "Death Valley" the hottest place in the USA... i wasn't worried i knew as soon as i got there it would be known as "Lively Valley!!"
Before we entered the park we explored a small ghost town called Rhyolite, which was an old minin town, which was made all the more strange by the sculptures which greeted u as u entered the town. Sculptures of Ghosts which u could climb inside... man i wish i could put the pictures up on here. Another sculpture was a naked woman made from breeze blocks!!?? Walkin round the town we saw old ruins but next to them were pictures where u could see what they actually looked like back in the day! It was real weird and i suppose these ghost towns r the USA's ruins. We have Roman stuff they have towns, where people just upped and left due to resources runnin low or whatever.
We then headed in2 the park. The first major thing we saw were Sand dunes. We stepped out of the nicely air conditioned car and fuck was it hot. We took some pictures and then headed to a small town in the valley where we had a couple of beers, we then went and set up out tent in the grounds and were excited to find a barbie.
We then headed back to the dunes, where we positioned r self on the top of one with a bottle of red wine (which cost $1.97!!, and was definatly not served at room temperature!!) We watched the sun dip down over the dunes and we headed bacjk to our campsite for sausages on the barbie, more red wine and then a really hot nights sleep(i thought it got cold in deserts at night!!).
The next day we began to head south through Death Valley, we drove to the top of mountain, where we could see the salt flats, the remenants of a lake which dissapeared a looooooooooooong time ago.
We drove further and walked through a canyon, kinda like the one in Star Wars a New Hope, where Luke gets attacked by the sand people.
We then drove through a place called artists pallete, where the rocks were loads of different far out colours. We then headed to the Salt Flats, where u could see small fish swimmin in the tiny bit of water there, We were also at the lowest point in the USA a few hundred feet below sea level.
We then began to drive out and back to Vegas, when the car went a bit too far off the road and when Alice steered it back onto the road, we realised we had a flat. We were gonna put the "death" in death valley, but alas we had a spare in which we changed... puttin the car on the jak, takin the tire off, puttin another one back on, this made me feel real manly.
With our new tire we headed out of the park. Death Valley was amazin, a real desolate place with constantly changin scenerey.
We got back to Vegas, Alice took the car back and we then indulged in another barbi at the hostel and watched 'The Big Lebowski' up on the big screen in the car park of the hostel and then we headed to bed... and wow!! i've pretty much caught up with myself on the blogs!!
I'm still here in Vegas gonna head 2 LA tomorrow to hook up with Ben and Debbie, where we can exchange stories of the different places we have just visited, preferbly over a beer!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb