A Brew for My Bro


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Clovis
May 6th 2020
Published: May 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

It is not secret, among our family and friends. My brother is the kind of beer drinker, not so much for the volume of beer, but the fact that he is often photographed with a cold beer in his hand. And on these coming hot days of summer, a cold beer sounds great. In fact, I prefer a beer as my adult beverage when having both Chinese and Mexican food. Maybe we need to learn a little more about one of America's favorite beverages. Certainly, it has become the favorite of tailgaters across the country, even in cold, rainy weather. Now that I have joined the Bulldog family here, a few cold beers always makes the tailgate party even better. The pH scale was created in the early 20th century by Søren Sørensen, then the director of the Carlsberg Laboratory's department of chemistry. Carlsberg brewery founder J.C. Jacobsen established the laboratory in 1876 "to develop as complete a scientific basis as possible for malting, brewing, and fermenting operations." As part of that mission, Sørensen examined the acidity of different compounds and decided that a new system was needed to better express such properties. In 1909, he introduced the pH scale, which indicates how acidic or basic a substance is. The pH scale we use today ranges from 0 to 14, where a pH of 7 is neutral, a pH of less than 7 is acidic, and a pH of greater than 7 is basic.Source: Science History · Date Updated: April 29, 2020According to a survey by market research firm Nilsen, off-premises sale of alcohol has spiked nationwide as stay-at-home orders were signed by mayors and governors. In Pennsylvania, Gov. Tom Wolf ordered state liquor stores to shut down — leading to a flood of customers who cleared the shelves. After three weeks in which state liquor stores were closed, a site to facilitate online alcohol purchases went live only to crash due to the high demand. Delaware state police has been stopping and ticketing Pennsylvanian drivers crossing state line, against travel restrictions, to buy booze. Stores selling beer and wine in Philadelphia compare the current rush of alcohol sales to the holiday season — sans the cheer.I notice that many bars and restaurants are selling both beer, and mixed drinks. Interesting!An alcohol.org survey of 3,000 Americans working from home this month discovered that 67%!o(MISSING)f WFH employees in Hawaii are drinking during work hours. Mississippi posted the lowest rate, at 13%!,(MISSING) while the range across most states falls between 22%!a(MISSING)nd 47%! (MISSING)The site reports that one-fifth of respondents have stockpiled alcohol for self-isolation, with beer standing out as the beverage of choice for work-time drinkers.Note: If I worked from home in my profession, I would not even think about drinking while working!!
Global beer consumption stood at approximately 188.79 million kiloliters in 2018, up 0.8% from the previous year, the first time in four years. If the volume of the Tokyo Dome was compared to a beer mug, this level of consumption is equivalent to filling up the Tokyo Dome about 152 times over.China (shickingly) remained the largest beer-consuming country in the world for the 16th consecutive year; however, consumption decreased in 2018 by 2.0% year-on-year. Mexico, in fourth place, marked a 5.3% increase in beer consumption, maintaining growth for two years in a row. Besides Mexico, other countries among the world’s top 10 beer-consuming countries which saw an increase were Brazil, Germany, the United Kingdom, Vietnam, and Spain.By region, Asia consumed 0.1%!l(MISSING)ess beer in 2018 compared to 2017, but still holds a 33.3%!s(MISSING)hare of the global beer market, remaining the world’s largest beer-consuming region for the 11th consecutive year. Beer consumption in Africa went up 4.4%!f(MISSING)rom the previous year, marking its eighth year of growth.


Bad news: Domestic brews, such as Budweiser, Coors Light and Miller Light, once dominated the US beverage market. But sales are declining while alternatives are spiking. Drinkers think beer is stale, compared to the innovative new brands and creative concepts emerging from other places, so they are craving a variety of other boozy drinks, including premium liquor, canned wine, spiked seltzers and pre-made bottled cocktails.In 2018, alcohol consumption in the United States dropped for the third-straight year, according to IWSR Drinks Market Analysis. And beer is to blame: Sales of a case of beer declined 1.5%! (MISSING)For the past five years, beer volume in the US declined 2.4%!,(MISSING) the firm said.So, you are probably asking what I drink, when I have beer. The short answer: Corona. But I enjoy an 805 from Firestone Walker in Paso Robles on occasion.Here is the deal on my beer drinking. The first two go down quickly. After that, I just don't seem to have the big beer thirst of the hard core beer drinkers.And to my brother, Bob!! Bonzai!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb