Garry Glitter and How to Escape Into Alcatraz


Advertisement
Published: August 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lone Cypress TreeLone Cypress TreeLone Cypress Tree

One of the stops on 17 Mile Drive
As usual, we start with a mammoth journey. Set off from Costa Rica at 6.00 AM, fly to Dallas/Fort Worth, which is a great airport. Then we off to Los Angeles, at LAX we catch the Flyaway Shuttle downtown to Union Station, this is where we connect with the Metro for Hollywood. On arrival we discover that the midnight Greyhound Bus doesn't stop here, it stops at North Hollywood, so we return downtown and catch the overnight bus to San Francisco. We arrived at 7.00 AM, more than 24hrs later.







On our supposedly 10 minute walk along Sutter Street to the USA Hostel we stopped at a little cafe called Posh Bagels for a rest, spent over an hour relaxing as locals headed to their workplaces, many coming into the cafe for their early morning coffee fix. We popped in here for a bagel more than once over the next few days.

Even although it was July and the height of Summer, couldn't quite believe we had to spend 90 dollars for a room in a hostel with bunk beds. Had to pre-book two nights in case we had problems finding accommodation.



Our first task later in the day was securing tickets for Alcatraz, this was on Eileen's must see list. Caught the F-Line trolley bus to Pier 33 only to find out that the first available tickets were for 6 days later. Problem being! we we leaving after 5 days. It was so disappointing, kinda spoiled the rest of the day, an island only a mile and a half away and we couldn't get on it.

Despite the cold weather our initial opinion of San Francisco is very favourable, . We did the usual tourist bit, visiting Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Chinatown, and the Golden Gate Bridge. The city has a great feel, some fine architecture, great restaurants, lots of attractions, and an interesting history. Don't quite understand the fuss about the Golden Gate Bridge!! The Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland seems much more impressive.

On our second day we wandered about the original sixties hippy area and the affluent gay district of Castro, lots of interior design shops, cool looking bars and eateries.
Gave the Squat & Gobble restaurant a miss right enough!!





We changed accommodation after two nights, moving into
Carmel BeachCarmel BeachCarmel Beach

One of the best seen on our travels
the nearby Beresford Hotel. When we were checking in at the reception, Eileen mentioned our disappointment at finding out that tax had been added to our bill when we booked online. The receptionist immediately reduced our room rate by 16 dollars to compensate and gave us a nice room at the front.

Result!!!



She also told us that it was still possible to visit Alcatraz if you were prepared to queue early in the morning for tickets. Apparently they sell 50 extra tickets for each of the first three boats when the ticket office opens at 8 o'clock.
So next day we turned up at 6:45 and waited an hour and a quarter in the cold for a couple of 24 dollar tickets on the first boat at 9 o'clock. It was worth the wait. We sailed to Alcatraz on the first boat, later in the day it was incredibly crowded.


Took advantage of our early landing and made a beeline for the cell block at the top of island, this gave us the opportunity to explore in relative seclusion before the hordes of visitors arrived. An audio tour provides information about the maximum security prison, famous for the detention of criminals such as the Birdman, Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone.
No one has been known to successfully escape across the treacherous waters of San Francisco Bay, except Clint Eastwood of course!! Remember the movie - "Escape from Alcatraz".
On display in the cell used during the real escape attempt is the paper mache head used to fool the prison guards.



No visit would be complete without a trip on a famous cable car and it was nice to find out that San Francisco's underground chain pulley system was invented by a Scotsman. We nabbed a great spot on the rear platform, this gave us uninterrupted views of the bay and the city as it shuggled it's way to the top of a steep street.

During our travels we've been wearing mostly un-ironed comfortable clothes such as Tee shirts, shorts, and sandals, however we felt like Gadgies in California. Nothing left for it, Eileen bought a black dress and heels.





Decided to hire a car from Dollar for our last 8 days on the West Coast, after picking up the black Dodge Caliber we
Big SurBig SurBig Sur

Viewpoint on the Pacific Highway
headed north to the lovely town of Healdsburg. Had a bite to eat, spent time in the park, then wandered round the shops before driving along the Russian River Wine Route. Stopped in at Porters Creek for some wine tasting before setting off to the Pacific Coast and the River's End Inn.
A wee drink on their balcony with great views went down nicely. Seeing we were in the neighbourhood we had to drive a few miles south to Bodega Bay, the location for Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "The Birds".
Took some photos of the church and schoolhouse, which have remained unchanged from the sixties, so that's another movie we'll want to see when we return.
It was getting late, time to look for accommodation, found a nice room in the Country Inn for 50 dollars in the town of Santa Rosa thanks to a coupon book we'd picked up outside a convenience store.





Our next trip was along the famed Sonoma Valley Wine Route from Santa Rosa to the beautiful town of Sonoma. A few stops for wine tasting did the trick. We stopped at the little town of Glen Ellen and the Sonoma Golf
Eileen McMillan Glamour GirlEileen McMillan Glamour GirlEileen McMillan Glamour Girl

Outside Santa Barbara Motel
Club with it's grand clubhouse built in the Spanish Colonial style. One of the golf professionals was Scottish and formerly a pro at Turnberry.

Small world, as they say!!



Our wine trail finished with a visit to the library to check our e-mails and an impromptu picnic in the city park at Sonoma before our long journey to Merced in the Central Valley. We thought it was a good idea to find accommodation in this town, which is situated only 80 miles from our next exciting trip, a visit to Yosemite National Park.



As this popular attraction is usually extremely busy we set off early next morning from our motel to try and beat the predicted crowds. Even before we arrived at the park the scenery was amazing, but as we passed the entrance and drove up through the mountains it became pretty spectacular.
When we stopped at Cathedral Beach it was pretty secluded unlike later as the numbers increased, although I have to say, it was always at manageable proportions. Some locations were busier than others however, such as Yosemite Falls, the tallest in the U.S.A. We’re glad it wasn’t the weekend,
Monterey FishermanMonterey FishermanMonterey Fisherman

John McMillan on the pier
might’ve been too much to bare, speaking of which, never seen any!!

After our great day sightseeing and hiking various trails in 36 degree heat we headed back to our motel in Merced nursing sore feet.








Next day, we faced another long journey through the abundant crop fields of California’s Central Valley which produces a wide variety of fresh food such as peaches, garlic, oranges, artichokes, and broccoli, you name it! they grow it here, in America’s food bowl. Then we headed south for the Monterey Peninsula to spend three days exploring the area.






After finding suitable accommodation in a motel close to Monterey city centre we visited Fisherman’s Wharf and the popular Cannery Row district of the city. This area of renovated fish canning buildings was originally made famous in the John Steinbeck novel of the same name. These premises next to the waterfront now house a variety of shops, hotels, and good restaurants. It also is the home of the Monterey Aquarium; equally impressive is the amount of marine wildlife visible a few metres offshore. We loved the fact that you can stand next to the water and view seals, sea otters, dolphins, pelicans, and sea lions, only a matter of yards from the shore.

On day two we spent time in the fabulous little town of Carmel, home to former Mayor Clint Eastwood and Doris Day, a big favourite of Eileen’s mum. We’d no option but to call into the Cypress Inn, a hotel owned by Miss Day to say “hello”.
No surprise that she wasn’t about but we took a few photos instead to show back home.

Asked about a room! Just too much at 205 dollars plus tax.

This understated wealthy town is so picturesque and it has a fantastic beach with the softest white sand. Two wedding ceremonies were being held on the sand when we arrived, and the weather was superb, although it can be quite cool in the summer months due to the same mist which affects San Francisco.
In the afternoon we drove south from Carmel on Route 1 to Big Sur, also known as the Pacific Coast Highway. It is amazingly scenic; car ads are regularly filmed on stretches of this road. We were continually stopping for photos of dramatic coastal views
Pacific Coastal HighwayPacific Coastal HighwayPacific Coastal Highway

One of many fabulous views
and magnificent scenes of waves crashing against rocks. Would’ve been even better in a convertible!






Our last day was spent touring 17 Mile Drive on the Monterey Peninsula. Fewer than 10 dollars gives entrance to more scenic viewpoints such as the Lone Cypress Tree, Bird Rock, Spanish Bay, and the fabulous Pebble Beach Golf Links.
A mere 495 dollars gives you a round on an amazing golf course, we wandered down to the 17th and 18th holes. Both are situated alongside the waters edge in another fantastic setting!
Pebble Beach is much more than a magnificent golf course; it consists of shops, restaurants, hotels, tennis courts, lodge, and spa. It is also not the only course on the peninsula so we took some time to look around The Links at Spanish Bay where a Scottish Piper plays every night at sunset.

We finished our day relaxing on Carmel Beach.

With our time in California rapidly coming to a close we headed south once more to be nearer Los Angeles. We decided to stop over in Santa Barbara for our last night before our flight from LAX. Both of us thought this would
Statue of LibertyStatue of LibertyStatue of Liberty

Viewed from the Staten Island Ferry
be a superb place to live, brilliant climate, picturesque, clean, great beach front, plenty of quality shops, cafés and restaurants. We paid 100 dollars for a beautiful room in the Presidio Motel on State Street. In the evening we enjoyed a Mexican meal in a nearby restaurant. The portions were huge, left with a doggie bag.


Before leaving for the airport we visited Santa Barbara Mission, this building dates from around 1790 and was built by the Spaniards. Many Spanish Colonial Missions were erected during the period when the state was under the rule of Spain. This is one of the best preserved examples.

On our journey to LA Airport we took a short detour through Malibu Canyon then drove along the coast from Malibu to Santa Monica.












We thought it would be a good idea to change our early morning flight from LAX to JFK to late evening. Qantas altered it free of charge over the phone. Our new overnight flight touched down in New York at 7:30 A.M. We travelled on the Sky Train service from the airport to Howard Beach and connected with the Subway to Manhattan at a cost of 7 dollars each.


On our 25th wedding anniversary we came to the Big Apple and stayed in the Waldorf Astoria.

Not this time around!!

The following 3 nights were spent in Candy Hostel on the upper west side, actually it was alright, a nice enough room, good location, and easy access to the subway.
Such a difference from last time when we arrived weeks after the twin towers came crashing down, now the heat is almost unbearable and so are the crowds.

Shortly after checking in to our accommodation we strolled along to Central Park and crashed out on the grass. The next few days
were spent visiting the usual tourist sights like 5th Avenue, Staten Island Ferry, Battery Park, Times Square, Waldorf Astoria, Grand Central Station, and the New York Library. One afternoon after spending time on the Brooklyn Bridge we enjoyed a pleasant walk from City Hall to Washington Park passing through parts of Tribeca, Soho, and Greenwich Village. This area is more laid back and less hectic than most districts of the city.

Before we knew it, our trip was over!!!!
Yosemite National ParkYosemite National ParkYosemite National Park

Stunning scenery

11 months travelling has past amazingly fast!!

Really doesn't seem that long ago when we were on our first flight from the UK to South East Asia, now we were returning!!.






The weary travellers arrived at Glasgow Airport to flowers and a welcome home banner held by Cheryl and John.




The more fantastic places we've visited the more we've appreciated how beautiful Scotland is!! It's a pity about all the bampots.




The trip was a great experience!! we're so glad that we grabbed the bull by the horns and did it!!

Has it changed us? Not really, maybe just re-affirmed most of our viewpoints.

Would we do it again? Absolutely!!!

We'll just have to spend time in our fantastic new apartment in beautiful Bodrum (Turkey) contemplating our next trip.

www.facebook.com/pages/Turkey-Bodrum-Apartment-to-Rent/305518600785







Just thought I'd give Garry Glitter a mention, apparently you get more hits with a controversial figure in your title.

We'll See!!!!!
















Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Welcome HomeWelcome Home
Welcome Home

Our daughter Cheryl McMillan meets us at Glasgow Airport
Alcatraz IslandAlcatraz Island
Alcatraz Island

Maximum security prison in San Francisco Bay
Carmel by the SeaCarmel by the Sea
Carmel by the Sea

Eileen outside hotel co-owned by Doris Day
Alfred Hitchcock's " The Birds"Alfred Hitchcock's " The Birds"
Alfred Hitchcock's " The Birds"

Bodega church & schoolhouse used in the movie
Pebble Beach Golf ClubPebble Beach Golf Club
Pebble Beach Golf Club

On the tee of the famous 18th Hole


22nd August 2008

:(
Your adventures all looked amazing, bet you are gutted to be back home - it'll be a hard few months adapting again to normality! Will see you at Cheryl's birthday party! Lindsay.x
22nd August 2008

you brought a tear to my eye
most of the places you visited in CA i can relate to you i just wish you had been there when i lived there how cool would have that have been thanks for the memories xx sooooooo glad your back missed you soooooo much
27th August 2008

seen it done it
groundhog day right enough. we visited all the same places including bodega bay. Did that the second time with Richard. we loved CA although Richard was'nt convinced that Santa Barbara was normal, it spooked him.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb