Anza Borrego State Park - Badlands


Advertisement
Published: January 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Forte Point OverviewForte Point OverviewForte Point Overview

The Borrego Badlands
After a 10 grain cereal breakfast, we loaded up TT and took off early to beat the heat of another 80+ day. First stop Forte Point and the overlook of the Borrego badlands. After a rocking, rolling, slipping, and sliding during the 4 mile drive up a dry wash and rocky one lane path, we reached the parking area. Both Emily and KC were less than excited as the drive was definitely an tenuous adventure, however when we reached the overlook, all was forgotten as the badlands were magnificent. The effects of erosion from the limited rainfall in the area exposed layers of rock and soil dating back millions of years. The slanting winter sun highlighted the formations and my photographic self went crazy as Emily and KC sat at the overlook.

The drive out was less adventuresome and more acceptable to the passengers. Next we went a few miles up the road turning off to another wash headed to a dry lake bed. Off to the west was a solitary mountain that had shifted from the main range by uplifting and sliding of plates over hundreds of thousands of year. This area has several active faults and usually has
Mountain that MovedMountain that MovedMountain that Moved

Dry lake in the distance and the solitary mountain on the left
several recordable shakings (tremors like in earthquakes) each day. We headed toward Borrego Springs where many trailers and RV's were parked off the highway getting desert accommodates on the cheap. Following a canyon road toward a green belt where citrus groves prospered and a couple of fruit stand signs attracted Emily's attention, we were able to secure a couple of 10 pound bags of Grapefruit and Tangelos (honor system fruit stands).

We turned up a dead-end road to an area named Desert Bloom, but after a few miles of rocking and rolling TT had enough, so we headed back looking for new adventure. Instead there was frustration as the map we used was less than adequate and led us to unexpected locations. As lunch-time passed Emily's tummy was growling (even with my bad hearing it was noticeable), so seeking food was our next mission. Basically there was none except for a few pieces of red ropes that Emily failed to share with her 2 companions.

Undaunted we head for a place called the Slot. This was a trail down into the Badlands that led to steep walled canyons where turning sideways was the only way through. We found
In the BadlandsIn the BadlandsIn the Badlands

View up a dead-end canyon
the road off the highway and proceeded for almost 2 miles to a place we thought was the Slot access, but after a 100 yards or so were faced with a drop into the canyon of over 50 feet. I would like to point out how age, experience, and decaying bodies lead to careful decision making. The decision was “let's go back” was quickly arrived at, but we continued to look for access into the canyon. Further down the road, we saw porta potties and thought maybe this was the way. Wrong again! Perseverance and fearless drove us forward and even on a road with blind drop-offs did not deter us (scared us, but never deterred us).

After a grueling half mile ride we arrived at another turn-out that included a steep road into the canyon below. One look and Emily said "NO!!". Of course Dennis pulling out as much macho as he had left said “ I think TT can make it down, but not sure about back up” Emily said NO once again!!! Dennis finally dropped his act and told Emily “I would not try it even in your truck”.

Out came the trekking poles and
EmilyEmilyEmily

An excited Emily on her return from the slot
down the steep road into the canyon we went and it was quickly discovered the road down looked a lot more daunting from the bottom than the top. Another good decision on age and experience (maybe fear of being another Badlands causality also). Up the canyon we went before I decided to turn off up a narrow wash to photograph a series of colorful canyon walls. After a quarter mile the wash ended and I had my photos.

Emily had gone on up the trail and I waited for her return. She was grinning and I knew the Slot had been found. She insisted I go up the trail and take some shots. She of course was right and to visit this component of the badlands that makes them bad – inability to exit the deep canyons was unreal. The trail up the wash was initially wide and as the sun slipped over the edges of the canyon it started to narrow. Soon I reached the drop-off location we stopped at over an hour ago (another great decision). The sun was now out of sight and the canyon walls went straight up. The light grew dim and I wondered
End of the Slot TrailEnd of the Slot TrailEnd of the Slot Trail

The trail continued on, but Dennis stopped - not wide enough
if photographs would be possible without a flash. I reached a point where the trail could only by continued by turning sideways. Here I stopped and felt a photograph would speak to the narrowness of the trail and I could once again venture out into the light.

I rejoined Emily and we both marveled at our trek up the slot, however we still had the steep road with deep pockets of sand created by vehicles trying to master the hill. There were several stops to catch our breath and have the last sips of water. We finally made it and were both happy to see KC and TT after this awesome adventure. Taking a short rest to reflection on the trek, we started out the 2+ miles of bad road before hitting pavement. Here again TT showed its metal by climbing over some severe hips and dips.

Yes it was a long, but marvelous day where we explored the Badlands from above and inside – spectacular to daunting. I will remember this day and these experiences for many years and thank my trusting companions – Emily, KC, and TT for the journey.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb