The Bothan is Sick!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bodega Bay
October 13th 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The coast


n Damme SP to Bodega Bay to Calistoga
Friday the 13th, 2006. One of the regions’s few towns is Port Arena. We climbed 147 steps to a view of sea and coastline which is treacherous. This lighthouse and the area around was obliterated by the 1906 earthquake.
As we drive the coastal highway # 1 with it’s hairpin turns, and steep drops into the Pacific, I am not going to think about “Friday the 13th”. The coastal vistas are magnificent. The weather today is cloudy and cool, but it adds a different flavor to the coast. Bob is having a grand time with his camera.
This road is amazing, but it is giving me “white knuckles”. An amusement ride at Kennywood is fun but driving off a cliff into the Pacific is not. We drove highways in the Smokies, and in the Rockies, the Canadian Rockies, even the Going-to-the-Sun Road, but nothing like this--- the hairpin turns and the drop-offs, all on a narrow two-lane road is scary, at least to me.
We made it to Bodega Bay, the filming location of Hitchock’s “The Birds”. We are at a private campground with wifi!! Time to get some blogs out.
October 14, 2006, Saturday. We left Bodega Bay and started inland toward Calistoga, when the Bothan started to act up. It just wasn’t getting enough power. Going up hill I had the flashers on and was flooring it, but it was barely at 35 mph. We pulled over and turned the vehicle off and after a while tried again. It was a little better but still not right. We struggled to Calistoga- Napa Valley Fairgrounds and started making lots of calls. It is Saturday, so our best bet is Monday for service.
With nothing else we can do, we started biking around Calistoga. Ever resourceful, we found a Gourmet Health Store, a Video Store, and started out to the wineries. Well, our first stop was Silver Rose. There is a $10 tasting fee?? (Hey I spend $10 for a full bottle of wine, not a few drops.) We decide to just bike.
We are on the Silverado Bike Trail, with a bike lane, (sometimes) but fast traffic, and folks stopping at the wineries, making us a little too vulnerable.
It is interesting seeing the vineyards and how the process of winemaking works. This a harvest time and it is a busy weekend.
Back to Calistoga for a good meal “at home” and we veg-out with a video.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.611s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 37; qc: 201; dbt: 0.2878s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb