What exactly was I thinking?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bishop
June 15th 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lone PineLone PineLone Pine

lone pine, the small town that is the starting point for mt. whitney and many more trails in the inyo national park. this is from just above whitney portal the trailhead at 8340 ft- a really great for not having to walk up all the way to whitney.
Haha...so it's confirmed. I am definitely crazy. Mt. Whitney kicked my out of shape self into reality. I am no longer fit or probably sane to be walking up mountains. Especially with winds blowing a billion miles an hour (okay, well, enough for the wind to pick up about 20 rocks and myself in my tent) at Trail Camp. For those who are thinking about this little trek, keep in mind that Trail Camp is completely exposed. Not the best place to settle down for the night. Brrr....not exactly my idea of a great time. *sigh* My fellow crazed camp mates stated that this was the first time after 3 summits that they had such a horrible time at this time of the year. Next time (if there is a next time), I know to go in July. More chances of better weather, despite the dreariness of the surroundings. Luckily enough the weather completely cleared up the next morning around 4am and stayed that way the entire way down. It was absolutely beautiful after getting down some, getting some oxygen-rich air in the lungs, and basking in the sun.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lone Pine LakeLone Pine Lake
Lone Pine Lake

the first glacier lake on the way up, it helps supply the river and waterfall that runs by whitney portal.
entering mt. whitney and lots and lots of snowentering mt. whitney and lots and lots of snow
entering mt. whitney and lots and lots of snow

it was shocking to see so much snow after such a long time without. despite all the snow, it was fairly warm until after about 9,000ft.
halfway uphalfway up
halfway up

still feeling mostly optimistic about making it....soon to change! it began to get super snowy and then gusty the next half mile up. yuck.
the big piece of granitethe big piece of granite
the big piece of granite

mt. whitney from below
morningmorning
morning

the beauty of waking up early... moonset over a pinacle
rodent of the mountainsrodent of the mountains
rodent of the mountains

a marmot and its scat they stayed put during the night. i didn't get bothered once by one even though i kept my food with me. that windy.
lone pine waterfalllone pine waterfall
lone pine waterfall

a spectacular day afterall....


22nd June 2006

Ing!
How cool are you!!? I miss you. Happy travels... can't wait to read more.
22nd June 2006

Wow Ingrid! Still traveling, huh? =) So, I'm out at Andrews now! Come out and visit sometime!
23rd June 2006

omg.. that one moonset picture... holy cow~ it looks like one of those digital pictures that they have on the internet.. =D haha.. anyway~ miss you. okay byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb