Redwoods, Wildlife, Waterfalls, and Wows


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
May 30th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.2703, -121.806

Got to Pfieffer Big Sur State Park and got checked in. It is a beautiful drive back to where our campsite was. You travel through an area that is thick with the redwoods and so lovely. Our campsite was very near the ablution area and we did not have anyone on either side of us.

We talked to the people across from us because they had a Habitat, King Dome and Base Camp set up. Found out they were a group from an REI store outside of Los Angeles and were trying out the tents in order to be better salesmen. What a great idea and way to really get to know the tents.

Talked to another couple across from us and she warned us of the jays that are quite opportunistic and will investigate any open door on the car and also check out things on your camp table. Did not stay up too late because we were planning to get exercise the next day.
Got up the next day and decided to walk to the Waterfall trail from our campsite. Had been given conflicting information on where the trail began and how to access it. We walked along the road but it was very shady and the trees were immense. We walked into one campsite where there were the stumps of some of the redwoods that were huge.

We got to the main gate and the lady directed us to the trail. She told us to turn right when she really meant left but we managed to get on the trail. It takes off across the street from the Lodge and heads up the hill. It is joined by the Vista Point trail and then they split after you reach the top. Part of the waterfall trail has been moved because of the fire in 2009 (I believe).
When we got ready to set off the group from across the way had just walked up and were going to do the trail as well. We were not quite as fast hikers as they were but did catch up at the waterfall and visited with them. The waterfall is very beautiful and the nice news was that it was flowing quite well. There is the main waterfall and another one not so large above it. Sat and enjoyed the waterfall, redwoods, and the peaceful setting. This is a popular hike and we "took" many people's pictures in front of the waterfall.
Hiked from the waterfall over to the Vista Point. It was windy out at the lookout and the dropoff was quite abrupt. When you got there you could see all the way to the lighthouse and down to the front of the Fernwood complex.

Walked back to the campsite after getting some quarters for showers. It was a very nice day but figured we had done about a 10 mile hike and our feet were tired!



Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View from Vista PointView from Vista Point
View from Vista Point

You are really up there!
Spectacular Big SurSpectacular Big Sur
Spectacular Big Sur

heading up the Pfieffer Falls Trail
Spectacular Big SurSpectacular Big Sur
Spectacular Big Sur

these guys were always busy checking us out
Spectacular Big SurSpectacular Big Sur
Spectacular Big Sur

Pfieffer Falls
Spectacular Big SurSpectacular Big Sur
Spectacular Big Sur

heading down the tree
Spectacular Big SurSpectacular Big Sur
Spectacular Big Sur

snail races going on


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb