Road Trip 2: Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
February 4th 2015
Published: February 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 2

We haven't been to Big Sur since summer 2011 when we drove from San Francisco to LA and made the catastrophic mistake of not allowing time to stop off and enjoy Big Sur. This year we are pushed for time too but are giving ourselves the full day on our drive from SLO to Monterey to enjoy the sights on offer.

Without fail this is my favourite drive of all time, no doubt! A lot of people wonder which is the best route North - South (San Fran to LA) or South to North. Well really the route is just so beautiful you can't really go wrong but if I was being honest my favourite is North to South as you are on the right side for the ocean and the views are undisturbed by cars in your way. The route is a tourist trap and always busy! If you're driving North pulling over can be just a little harder as you're waiting for a break in traffic. That said, South to North suits people as they don't like the idea of driving so close to the ocean and drop on the bendy roads. Either way - there is nothing to complain about on this road!

Although it is very touristy, not everyone on the road is a tourist and therefore aren't too appreciative of your slow driving to admire your surroundings! Best thing to do is pull over and let them pass, everyone's a winner!

There are a million websites telling you stops for 'great view's but the truth is they're all great! There is literally no service along a lot of the route which makes little difference to us out of towners so make sure you have good music and charged phones and cameras because it is a truly memorable ride.

Cambria - nice wee town on the drive north for a stop of. Few signs for California 1 which tourists love. Good stores for food, drink, souvenir stock ups. Worth a drive through. Same with San Simeon - don't avoid or drive around. Drive through - great views. Also where you will find Hearst Castle. Very popular! Research before you leave to see if it's for you. Could easily spend a few hours looking around if you have time, if you don't I'd choose the views and beaches over a mansion!

Food - Sebastian's General store, Robin's (Cambria), Big Sur Bakery and Nepanthe.

My favourite viewpoints are:

> Pfeiffer beach and state park
> McWay Falls
> Bixby Bridge
> Point Sur Lighthouse
> Elephant Seal Viewpoint
> Point Lobos
> Ragged Point

I wouldn't necessarily advice too much planning ahead of where to stop unless you have specific things you wish to see. Having an idea is enough because they're all gorgeous and well sign posted or if you have sat-nav assess it by weather, traffic and population on the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb